lllanos is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2010 64bit

Users able to sort a datasheet, but not able to save changes

I was wondering if it was possible to be able to have a datasheet set up for a user to be able to sort the information, but not able to save the design when they close out of the datasheet. I already have the datasheets set up so they can't make any additions/edits/deletions, these datasheets are for informational purposes only. The users don't have access to the ribbon to export to excel, I suppose I could put a button on it to export to excel, but I thought it would be easier for the user to be able to just sort the datasheet right in the database.

Thanks,
    Laurie

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    the query is what acutally does the sorting. Users can sort after that too, but it wont change the query.
    you cant stop the sort, but you can get rid of the the box that asks to save the sort change....
    docmd.setwarnings FALSE

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    hhmmm R256 - a rare time where I'm not sure you're right - but then not sure I'm right either - doesn't the datasheet form have a sort property? .... I think they would have to code to dynamically reset that when the user makes a sort change...... not sure if the OnCurrent event is getting triggered though with each sort so not sure what event should be used..

lllanos is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2010 64bit
    Maybe I should have started out with this, my users all work off of a "Navigation Form". I can only add "Forms" to the "Navigation Form", I can't add tables or queries. The "Datasheets" I am referring to are "Form.Customers - DS". These are "form" datasheets created from a query. The user cannot make changes to the info, but can sort the info. I just don't want the changes to be saved when the user is done.

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    A form is an object, of which Datasheet is 1 type (Continuous and Single are the other types). A form object has a sort property - which will over ride the record set's sort. Put the form into design view and you'll find this property.

The users cannot change this sort if they cannot go into design view. Or if you wished to be able to save their sort change - you would have to trigger code that changes the values in this property.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.