Thanks, I will give it a try.

Respectfully,

Lou Reed

Lou_Reed is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    When I tried using the se

Lou_Reed is offline VIP
    When I tried using there sequence if instructions I got an error message. It said:

The Microsoft Access Server cannot find the input table or query "Switchboard Item"
    Make sure it exists and is spelled correctly.

Switchboard Item is the first table in the list for my db.

Now I think I know what is happening. The directory that it is attached to is not the network directory
    as I thought; it is the directory where the previous developer stored his file. I went to the network
    directory source and opened the ms access 2010 db there and it gave me the same error as if I had opened
    it on my own laptop.

I do not have access to the directory that it says it cannot find. This is on the previous developer's laptop.

That is why when I try to relink the tables, since it clearly cannot find the directory it gives that error message.
    As I said it give the same error when I open the ms access db on the server.

The only solution that I can see is somehow remove the table path completely.

How do I do that?

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Respectfully,

Lou Reed

davegri is offline Excess Access
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    That is what the linked table manager is for. It lets you change the location of the linked files.
    Your choices are:
    Locate the missing files and use the linked table manager to tell Access where they are (network or your PC).
    If the missing files are Access tables, you could import the tables into your Access application.
    If you can't locate them, you will have to recreate them. Otherwise, your Access application won't run.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    If you want to remove the linked tables completely (it will remove the links, not the tables), in the navigation pane, click on the linked table and tap the Delete key.
    You don't want to do this for the tables (if any) actually in your DB.
    Last edited by davegri; 12-02-2016 at 11:31 AM. Reason: clarity

Lou_Reed is offline VIP
    The tables are empty so deleting the links would mean no great loss. I just want to open the tables up (with all of their controls, etc.) up without the annoying error that pops up now.

There would be no loss if the tables links were removed. I will try what you said.

Thanks.

Respectfully,

Lou Reed

Windows 10 Access 2016
    In a normal FE, BE system, the table schema does not exist in the FE. There are no tables AT ALL in the FE. If you delete the links, no tables will show up in the navigation pane. You will not be able to see the tables as they don't exist there.
    It this application ever ran on the server, there must be a BE somewhere that the FE linked into. If that was on someone's local PC, you are out of luck unless you can either find that person, or recreate the tables. Hopefully, the BE is somewhere on the server.

Lou_Reed is offline VIP
    I selected the tables in the Navigation window and then tapped the delete key as you said, it asked me if I was sure that I wanted to delete the links. I was sure, so I pressed yes.
    It deleted the whole table, at least from the navigation window and the links also. I am not worried because I have backups. The links and the tables now are gone. I wanted to
    keep the tables and they are, well, deleted.

Somebody else must have had this problem before me.

How can I keep the tables and lose the links. Then I can open up these carefully formatted tables and use them without that annoying error.

Respectfully,

Lou Reed

Windows 10 Access 2016
    If you want to remove the linked tables completely (it will remove the links, not the tables), in the navigation pane, click on the linked table and tap the Delete key.
    You don't want to do this for the tables (if any) actually in your DB.
    What I meant by this is that you would not remove the actual tables (which only exist at the linked location) if you delete the links.

Lou_Reed is offline VIP
    Okay, if I deleted the links and not the tables then where are the tables now? They are gone from the navigation windows that is for sure.

If I can find them, would I then be able to import them back to the current ms access 2010 db? That would solve a lot of problems.

AS I said I cannot believe that no one else has had this problem. I have seen db that are moved to other computers and you open as table

and you get no error.

I really want to hold on to the tables since they have a lot of hours building the table and linking it to a form. They just have nothing in them.

Respectfully,

Lou Reed

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I suggest that you carefully read all the responses. Your question has been answered in detail more than once.

Lou_Reed is offline VIP
    Tell me which response? I called up HP tech support and they were clueless. If this is so easy then what happened at HP?

I just want to work with a db that does give off those annoying errors about outdated paths.

I can upload two db that are identical except one has tables with the outdated paths and one does not.

So I know that what I want to do can be done.

The following link shows someone with a similar problem. They had it fixed. Unfortunately it was on a very old version of ms access. It was ms access 97 I believe.

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/threads/ho...puter.2831537/

However, it does not say what they did. At least in this link. Thus again I know it can be fixed.

Respectfully,

Lou Reed

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I suggest that you carefully read all the responses. Your question has been answered in detail more than once.
    Did you read them?

Lou_Reed is offline VIP
    Yes, I read all of them as they came out and posted. I have been working on this issue since noon yesterday. Plenty of time to read all of them, I see no concrete answer in any one of them.

As I said I know it can be done because I have seen other db's where they were moved and the outdated paths for tables were somehow lost. That is what I am after.

Respectfully,

Lou Reed

Lou_Reed is offline VIP

Removing outdated paths from zip files

Above are the two files NewZip3.zip NewZip2.zip

Above are the two files of the same database. The NewZip2.zip file is the one with the problem I mentioned at the beginning of this post.

The NewZip3.zip file does not have this problem. I include the NewZip3 file as proof that what I am asking can be done. It just cannot be by me at

this time.

Simply opening the ms access 2010 db up on each file will show what I am talking about. The question is how to get to theNewZip3.zip from the NewZip2.zip file.

I do not know how to do it.

Respectfully,

Lou Reed

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.