hell0 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit

how to import different records from another access file

Hi, im relatively new to microsoft access, i had few people keying in alot of data separately into microsoft access files. So now i need to merge them into 1, the tables formats are the same, however how do i import records that are different from each access files into 1 single access file?

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    way to vague a question to provide any real answer other than to use the import wizard to append the data to a table.

Note if these tables in different databases have autonumber primary keys, you will end up with data integrity issues when trying to append because you will have a number of records with the same primary key value.

hell0 is offline Novice
    however import wizard import the whole table, i just need a few entries in some of the tables, is there a way to do so?

CJ_London is offline VIP
    import to a temporary table, then write a query to append the records you want

Alternatively you can just use a query to reference the external database/table e.g.

INSERT INTO tblMAIN
    SELECT * FROM tblx IN 'c:\path\externaldbname.accdb'
    WHERE tblx.somefield=somevalue

hell0 is offline Novice
    so append function only works to move entries between tables in the same files?

CJ_London is offline VIP
    just noticed a typo in my last post, now corrected.

Not sure what you mean by an append function or entries - you have append queries, tables, fields and records. If this is what you mean, then no, my example is moving records from a table called tblx in a database called externaldbname.accdb into a table called tblMain in the current database. Instead of using * (which means all fields) you can specify the names of the fields to be imported from and the names of the fields to be imported to.

Strongly recommend you research the SQL language and how the access query builder works so you can start to use the correct terminology when asking questions. There are plenty of tutorials out there.

At the same time you may want to research normalisation so you can learn how tables and relationships should be designed.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.