cfljanet is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

report printing in Access 2016

We have recently been upgraded to Office 2016 and I am slowly beginning to find the problems...

Some of my reports now appear in print preview all squashed up on the page - a bit like on excel when you reduce the scale. Does anyone have any idea how I can change this? It's urgent as I have to produce reports for clients and they look ridiculous. Just to help I've attached the same report, one printed from 2010 and one from 2016 - hopefully you will see what I mean.

I would be really grateful if anyone could help

PL CH KR1-Copy TEST.pdfPL CH KR1-Copy TEST NEW.pdf

aytee111 is offline Competent At Times
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2013 32bit
    In a previous post the person found that the fonts hadn't been loaded or installed or something. Try changing the font.

Thank you aytee. The font is calibri which is pretty standard for modern office, but I tried changing it anyway. It didn't make a difference. I also removed the header and footer but that didn't do anything either. So, still hoping someone might have the answer.

Have you tried recreating the report from scratch?

No, I was trying to avoid that!! I have checked all the properties and page setup against other reports that seem to have coped with the upgrade just fine, but as far as I can see they are all the same.
    I guess, though, that will be what I have to do. Thanks anyway.

I thought maybe printer drivers, but if all the others are ok then it won't be that. Wracking my brains here! Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Grouping/sorting?

You don't have to redesign the report, just copy/paste from one to the other.

I tried the grouping and sorting and nothing, no change. But I copied and pasted to a new report as you suggested, and it's fine. So who knows? I'm sort of nervous now to look through the rest of the database to find out what other strange things I might find!
    Thank you though! It's a big help just to have someone make suggestions and at least makes me feel that I wasn't being completely stupid about something obvious

It would certainly help to know the reason, you did a good job researching it but no luck. I suppose other reports had the same controls, like the image.

That excitement was very short-lived: it looked fine in print preview, but as soon as I printed it to PDF or the printer it did the same. So back to Square 1 - just thought I would share that with you!

I will re-create the report as I did previously but print to PDF at each stage to see if I can narrow it down. The print preview has now also reverted to squashed up, so there's something funny going on. I did think it might have something to do with the header logo as that has to be re-done in all my reports, but the changes don't seem to have affected them, so I don't THINK it's that. I shall soldier on, in any case. Thank you again!

Don't copy the logo from the old report, add it as a new image - if you didn't do that already.

Keep us posted!

No, I didn't. I spent a million hours researching how to do it as it was a long time since I set-these reports up and learning about the issues with 2016 there, so think I have the hang of that now. I shall let you know if I find anything illuminating anyway!

Well, I have found the cause but not the solution: for some reason, on this one report alone, when printing to either PDF or the printer, the scaling in the printer preferences is on 80% instead of 100%. You can change it manually so there is a solution, although I will have to remember to do this each time. What I don't know, and can't find, is what "code" is making this happen. I am presuming that it must be nestled in the Access report itself somewhere - if not the same would happen to all reports. But I can't see anything in the properties, or page setup, that is different to any other report.
    So, at least the cause has been isolated, if not the solution! And at least there is a way to print the reports in an acceptable fashion

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.