Berandon is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Creating a usable List

I am semi new to databases, I have started making a database to track job notes after a job is complete. Everything seems okay until I get to listing the people involved. I need one list of my employees, but on my jobs I can have up to 10+ people involved in one project, I wanted to do a drop down as i don't want to misspell their name and have problems. But after I select them, I want to give that team member a note (good, bad, or indifferent). I then want to be able to report on each employee's notes so i can print off a page which has job name and number and their note, job name and number just for reference if they are asking why they got a particular note.

I tried a list function in the database but I think if I want to have up to 10 people selected, then i would need 10 drop down cells, but when i tried to make a second drop down, it wouldn't show the list i had made of all employees, so i tried to first simplify the task and see if it would even work, I made just one line and tried to put it on the form i had created to fill in to populate my database side. When i tried to click the drop down, it said I couldn't select a name as the list was already in use somewhere else and i had to close it to use it. But i only had the form tab open. Then it wouldn't let me close or open anything because of the ghost list/tab in use. i ended up having to close it without saving and delete it and start over. this happened twice. So i tried a different approach. I made the list in the form and it seems to work with letting me select a name and a make a note and i had 4 slots to input employees and notes, however it won't populate the database, with the employees name or the note. so when i close the form, the information goes away or i have to go back to the record i typed it in to see it. So i can't run a report on it to recall it.

I have a book on access 2013 i borrowed from a friend, but can't find the function I need to read up on or find anything online explaining it in the context i need it to.

Please let me know what to search for or read up on, or if what i want, can't be done. I have a guy who works with me who is our local access expert and he can't think of anything that would work.

Thank you for your time.
    Brandon

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Read up on normalization. I think you need a table for employees on jobs. It would have fields for:

JobID (foreign key from jobs table)
    EmployeeID (foreign key from employee table)
    Notes (notes related to this employee on this job)
    JobEmpID (an autonumber primary key for this table that can be your number)

You'd use a subform to display the data.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thank you, I will look into it and read up on it and report back when i get it working.

Thank you again for your time
    Brandon

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    No problem Brandon, and welcome to the site by the way!
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thank you very much!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.