Slurry Pumper is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Has anyone had this occur before, and how do I stop it from happening?

Hi All Slurry Pumper here.

I'm brand new to Access, and I know just enough to not even be dangerous yet, so here is the scenario that keeps occurring to me.

I have a form that has a Text Box located in it that users can input specific values to be utilized in a series of queries that are automatically opened and closed via an embedded macro that will use the inputted value to filter out a table then create a separate table with the filtered data. Everything works great, I save the individual queries, tables, and the form. Then I save the entire access database. Even after that, everything works great. If however, I close the database and then open it back up, every time I try to enter values in my textbox, I get the "Enter Parameter Value" box when I try to enter the value in the text box that has that parameter's name. It is as if the program isn't referencing itself. Anyways, if I change the name of the text box to something else, and change the names downstream in all of the queries that reference that text box, everything will work again, so it can't be a misspelling, but if I shut down Access entirely, that Enter Parameter Value message comes up again when I re-open the database and off I go changing the referenced text box names.

So what is going on here? What am I missing? Why won't this thing utilize the very parameter that it already knows is present until I change the name of that parameter?

Any information is helpful, and once again I am very green to this program.

orange is online now Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    I see that this is your first post. Welcome.
    It would be helpful to readers if you could start by telling us What your database is about in plain English - no jargon -just plain English as you would use to tell an 8 year old.

ranman256 is online now VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    sometimes the query has a misspelled field in it. This will cause the query to ask for a param value.
    sometimes its a corrupted query, compact the db, and try again.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Fair enough.

My database takes a look all of the parts in a given candy manufacturing facility, (when I say parts, we are talking everything, every little piece of machinery that is in the facility that has a part number, approximately 50,000 items) I can't tell you the name but they have a joke about a highway going to it. I use this database to narrow down this giant list of parts to about a couple hundred or so parts that have the most usage and highest cost as a combination. The table the database looks at already has the usage and cost calculated together under a field, so I don't need to figure that out. The only thing the form will do is wait for me to enter a minimum value, then create a table with values at or above my entered value. The individual queries used in the form will use this new table to filter out the parts by noun identifiers. Being totally new at this, I thought the noun identifiers would be the difficult part, but no, it is the entering a minimum value that is giving me a problem. The noun identifiers part is working flawlessly even after I close and re-open the database.

Like I stated earlier, this thing actually works, which I should quit and call it a day right there considering I started yesterday totally fresh just by looking at the help menus. It is only when I close the database and then re-open it to run my form, that it has a problem with remembering the name of the entered text for scrutiny. I totally blame Microsoft for this, I'm not sure what is going on, but I would bet it is something to do with them. Anyways, if I change the name of the text box and change all of the associated items that utilize that name, it will work again until I close the database.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ranman256 View Post
    sometimes the query has a misspelled field in it. This will cause the query to ask for a param value.
    sometimes its a corrupted query, compact the db, and try again.
    What does it mean to "compact the db?"

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Hey thanks all that at least read this dribble. Due to the lack of laughter, I decided to actually recreate this data base. Yeah, I have that kind of time. Anyways, preliminarily this issue seems to be fixed. It was probably some corruption involved with program. So I'm going to label this as solved once I figure out how to do that.

orange is online now Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.