davidj is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2016

populating a specific table using user input data through queries

I have a database that manages assets at a refinery. I am a very inexperienced Access user but am making my way along very slowly with help from the web and others. What I would to add to my database is the functionality to track my daily progress through prompts that will build a table with user input data. The table has been created with 3 fields: a date field which I would like to auto-populate with the present day the query is initiated, a number of "tags" entered that day, and a long text description of other work performed. I would like a button to be placed on my main form that when clicked prompts the user with "How many tags have you entered today?" then once a number is entered the next prompt ask,"Is there anything else you helped with today?". The information input into these prompts would be stored into the table in the respective fields. Obviously the date would auto-populate for that day and so on each time the button on the main form is clicked. Please help. I appreciate any input.

Thanks,

Dave

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    You don't have to keep asking the user questions....
    use a form,in a grid or continuous form,
    the user has 2 fields for entry for that day.

1 the date is already there as default. Set default= Now(), no entry needed.
    2 the user enters the tag
    3 user enters the description of work.

user repeats entries down the list until every tag is entered.

davidj is offline Novice
    I would like to have a button added to my main form (which displays other information regarding the assets that i track) and when the button is clicked the prompts pop up to ask the enter to enter the data. This data this is entered is automatically stored in a table that i have created called journal. I am trying to set this up as a daily tracker of work built into my existing asset tracking database. Its basically a tool i can use to justify my exsistence. LOL

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    Sounds like the button would run an append query to add the journal table.

davidj is offline Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by ranman256 View Post
    Sounds like the button would run an append query to add the journal table.
    Could you help in what this would look like in design view of the query?

aytee111 is offline Competent At Times
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2013 32bit
    You would create an append query which would contain the prompts, something like this:

INSERT INTO tablename( field1, field2 ) SELECT [Enter number of tags] AS Expr1, [Anything else?] AS Expr2;

Another option would be to create a pop-up/modal form to open when you click the button. That would be a lot more controllable from your side and also more user-friendly. It would have the table name as the record source and would open on a new record, the user would enter the information and when the form closed the record would be saved to the table.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.