TheLimp is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Grouped Report with 5 Cols but want 1 static row header

Hi,

I need help with a report and I cannot figure out how to create row headers in a report with 5 cols

I have a report grouped by ID (max 5 rows returned)
    I have the report completed so that it shows the col headers and each record (20 fields) below the headers. I want a 6th col to be displayed on the left which is a description for each filed displayed virtically.

Header1 Header2 Header3 Header4 Header5
    Field1 field1 Field1 Field1 Field1
    ... ... ... ... ...
    Field20 field20 Field20 Field20 Field20

I have set the columns and column widths in the page set up and every thing displays correctly
    But below is what I want and I dont know how to do it.

Header1 Header2 Header3 Header4 Header5
    Static text Field1 field1 Field1 Field1 Field1
    ... ... ... ... ...
    Static text Field20 field20 Field20 Field20 Field20

The static text I want to appear once on the left hand side of the report. Its just a description of each field. when I add this row in it apprear in every column....

I hope this makes sense..... Any help would be really appreciated.

Cheers

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    create the query, then the report wizard will build the report for you.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    If you want a field to appear only once for a group of records, it can't be in the detail section for any group. It would have to be either in a page header or section header. The first would be impractical as you'd need a new page for each group.

Must confess I'm wondering why you need a descriptor for fields as opposed to making the label descriptive, or why you'd repeat the same info across a page:
    Field20 field20 Field20 Field20 Field20
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thanks for the reply Micron,

Yes, each field is repeated 5 times acoss the page but not the data. As it is in columns the same field is repeated but each column is a new record. The text on the left would basically be row headers. I am a teacher and I need to send info to parents on a sspecific set of results. The report is grouped by the student with the col headers been the assesement date and the level of the assesment. The first col I need a description of the fields as if there is no description it is just a page full of numbers with no meaning. I do not want these repeated acroos the page though.

Well, I've never heard of putting row based data (upon which all db's are predicated) into columns. That is a spreadsheet format and is just not conducive to how db's are designed. My answer remains the same, and oddly enough, is the result of how database information is meant to be stored as well as displayed. To reiterate, you will have to find a spot for the info you want to show that is not part of the detail records, such as a group or page header, which may not fit your presentation style.

Respectfully, I'd be surprised if a more traditional report could not be designed that would present the data as needed, provided that it's stored in the database the way it was meant to be.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Maybe this will help to show waht I am trying to do. As you can see the report is grouped by student. The student can have up to 5 assessments. I am trying to recreate this paper report. it is a 3 page report as there is about 30 skills involved.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Report.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	110.7 KB 
ID:	26242

If that's the report you're trying to re-create, what is the "Static text" you want and where does it go? I can't figure it out based on your first post but I think you want something to go to the left of language proficiency level but I have no idea if that's to be repeated down the rows or just once beside the proficiency label. Can you mock up something to show the desired result? If you create some spreadsheet rows with headers, it will copy and paste nicely here as a table. First, make sure the columns fit your cell contents.

each record (20 fields) below the headers
    Also, I'm not seeing 20 fields here. Not sure if you realize that database fields and records are analogous to spreadsheet columns and rows?
    You might have to post a db containing some fake data along with your query and report because report design can be so much more complicated than forms.
    Last edited by Micron; 10-26-2016 at 11:22 AM. Reason: clarification

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Hi,

The static text has the header names as Language Prof. Level and Skill. The recordset fields are the values for Assessment # Date. The recordset will return 5 rows. These are the Assessment # Date columns in the report. Currently I do not have the static text in my report and it displays correctly. I have split the report into 5 columns and placed the bound fields (type Integer) vertically under each Assessment # Date. column. The problem is when I try to add the static text (Language Prof. Level and Skill) it appears in each of the 5 Columns. I only want it to appear on the left of the report. for simplicity will we just say there is 10 fields.

Again, I really appreciate the time you are taking with this.

OK so if I now have it, the solution (IMHO) would be that you need 6 reports - 5 subreports and 1 main. The main needs 5 subreport controls side by side, one each for the 5 reports (columns). You would need to position labels with "static text" near the top left corner on the main report, about level with the top of the subreport controls. This is the only way I know to transpose row information into columns in a report and be able to do what you want. The answer is based on my understanding of the goal and situation, and as I said in post 7, report design can get very complicated, so I think you'll need to post a zipped db sample that I can open (I'm behind you in Access versions) if you still need my help. The alternative is to hope someone else following this will step up. If they don't, it's likely that followers have dropped off. In that case you follow up your subsequent post with a plea for further help.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.