vawiiman is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Need to make a quiz database

Hello.
    I am a medical student and have very little experience with Access. I am going to ask your community to help me with a project quite extensively. Why would ANYONE want to do help me basically build a database for free? Well, the last paragraph will explain why I'm hoping someone will.

I need to create a Microsoft Access database that can administer a multiple choice practice exam. I have no bloody idea how to do it. But here is what it needs to be able to do:

1. Import question data into a table automatically
    2. Create a form that users can use to choose an exam type and then take the exam.
    3. Display the correct answer along with an explanation after every answer choice they make.
    4. Ability to "peek" at the answer sheet. This is important because of the way the studies are done. We often research the wrong answers along with the right ones.
    5. Ability to click a button to see a popup of lab values.
    6. Ability to click a button to pull up a simple calculator
    7. Ability to "Mark" a question for later review
    8. Ability to click a button to see or enlarge a picture (or occasionally a short video or audio) within each question.
    9. Multiple choices can be from A) to O)... but if there are only 5 answer choices I don't want F) through O) to show on the form.
    10. See a results page with their choices scored as correct or incorrect with the correct choices next to them.
    11. Ability to select or create an exam of just questions they marked
    12. Ability to select or create an exam of just questions they missed
    13. Ability to select or create an exam of just questions they haven't seen before.

Each question has the following parts:
    1. Question
    2. Up to 21 different Labs (like "Glucose" or "Thyroid Hormone Level"). Some of these might just be headers that have no associated results.
    3. Up to 21 different Lab results like ("8.6 mg/mL" or "negative", etc.)
    4. About 1/10th of the questions will include some sort of media. 95% of the media would be a picture. But there is the occasional audio or video w/ or w/o audio. These would be short 10 seconds or less. Examples would be of a heartbeat or breathing sound that a physician might hear through a steth.

There are several different types of exams. But the question formatting will always be the same.

Ideally, there would be a startup form that asks "What kind of exam would you like to take?" with a list of exam types. NBME, Kaplan, UWorld, etc. (these are names of different exam question providers)
    Some exams will have a set list of exams that are pre-made that they can then choose from. For example, NBME would then allow them to choose, NBME Pediatrics Exam 2, NBME OB/Gyn Exam 1, ect.
    But most exams won't be like that. They will need the ability to choose two things.... first... what subject, (e.g. Pediatrics, Surgery, etc.). They need to be able to select more than one or even all of these. Second... they then need to select a system, (cardiovascular, oncology, female reproductive.... etc.), again with the ability to choose more than one or all of these. The choices would be the same for all exams of this type.

I have included an excel spreadsheet that I wrote that kind of does what I need it to do for a single exam. But it's bulky and crashes a lot due to the fact that I don't know much about programming. Furthermore, it doesn't work on everyone's computer. I don't know why. I also included a spreadsheet of the raw data that was used to generate the exam. I have hundreds of sheets of these raw data all formatted pretty much the same. It is these sheets of data that I want to import into the access database.

I do not need it to be pretty. I can format it. I can smooth the edges. You don't really need to worry about how the forms are laid out.

Well, it seems that I am unable to upload the files. But here is the format of the excel raw data file:
    Question ID, Question number, Exam Type, Exam ID, Subject, System, Question, Answer Choice A-O (15 columns), Labs 1-21 (21 columns), Lab Result 1-21 (21 columns), Picture (embedded in a cell if a picture exists for that question), Correct Answer, Explanation

And here is a sample line of data:
    3265, NBME, Peds Form 3, Pediatrics, Infectious Disease, Who plays "House"?, Marky Mark, The Funky Butch, Will Smith, Hugh Laurie, My Cousin Fred, ,,,,,,,,,,CBC (this is in Lab1 but doesn't have a corresponding result because it's a kind of header), hemoglobin, hematocrit, WBC, Platelets, Urine (this is in lab6 but doesn't have a corresponding result because it's a kind of header),Specific Gravity, Protein,,,,,,,,,,,,,,(Blank because of header), 14 mg/ML, 15%, 18000, 240000, (black because of header), 1.0015, negative,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,D, Hugh Laurie played the role of House in that tv show. The explanation can be quite long and might include pictures of it's own.

OK... why do I need this and why would you consider helping me? I am older than most medical students my age. I was born very poor. I grew up poor. I was homeless for a while. I have fought to get into medical school my entire life. I was able to get a full scholarship to medical school based on my undergrad performance and test performances combined with my background. But... I can't afford to buy or pay for all of the exam prep softwares that my fellow students can buy. So, I have been making my own. There is a tremendous amount of free questions just floating around the internet that I have access to. But gathering them, organizing them, then administering them to myself takes more time than I have to spare as a student. I have found a forum that has sheets and sheets and sheets of questions with the answer choices, labs, correct answers, etc all lined up. I don't mind formatting these sheets in a uniform way. But I don't know how to administer them. They are usually in folders that also have associated media with it. I am not the only one in this boat. I would like to take this database and make it available to every medical student that might need it nationwide. So, you wouldn't just be helping me. You would be helping every medical student that fought their way where they are without daddy's silver spoon.

Thank you in advance to anyone that can help me.

vawiiman is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    P.S. I need it to use radio buttons to select the answer key. If anyone can help me with even just a skeleton. I'm not entirely useless in accel. At one time in my life I might have been able to do this myself. But I don't remember enough to do it now.

Search here for potential schema

http://www.databaseanswers.org/data_models/

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Well, it seems that I am unable to upload the files.
    You might need to zip the file(s) first, then, in a reply, click the Advanced button.
    Scroll down until you see the Attachments button.

Max Zip size is 2 MB.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.