Villa123 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007

Need Help Designing A Resource Database

I'm fairly new to Access, and am building my first database, so am seeking some guidance in building this database.

Background: My team is responsible for tracking Training Certifications for select resources in our organization. I work for an enterprise corporation of nearly 200,000 resources, but will only need to report on North American resources (roughly 50,000 resources). We need to keep records of resources who obtain certification, and also need to keep track of resources who are not certified.

I need to create a "master file" that shows all resources in NA, and allows me to update resource records as they obtain certification.

We obtain 2 sets of data from HR, 1 excel file contains a list of resources and their personal information (ID, Name, Email, Location, etc.), but their are a subset of resources that are NOT captured on this file, which is why we have to use a 2nd excel file that contains the missing resources from the first, however there are duplicate records of resources that are captured on the first file. It is also worth mentioning that the columns do not match in both data sources.

How I am envisioning the database is as follows:

Table 1 - Resource List 1
    Table 2 - Resource List 2
    Query to combine the Tables 1 & 2 together, and removing duplicates.... not sure what is the best way to do this.
    Table 3 - Certification Records
    Query to join Certification Records to the Resources Query above

Form - which allows the user to search for Resources by Name or ID# from the Resources Query, and then fill in the fields for the Certification Records table.

Please provide any guidance in designing this database, it is much appreciated.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    What exactly is being Certified?
    You mention resources (which I understand to be Employees), but aren't Positions deemed to require certain Certifications?
    When I have encountered such situations, it seem an Employee occupies a Position. The Position requires that the incumbent (Employee officially assigned to that Position) must meet the qualifications (education, experience, training, certifications..) of that Position.

I'm not trying to be difficult, just trying to ensure you have your requirements clearly defined.

If you are dealing with an extremely limited situation where Welder 204 has to be re-certified each year, then ignore my question.

Good luck.

Orange,

We have an internal certification we require Sr. Associates and Managers to obtain. Training is provided on a monthly basis, and as resources/employees become certified, we have to update their records in our database. Track things such as Training Date, Exam Date, Certified Y/N?, Expiration Date... these would all be entered manually on a 1 by 1 basis, which is why I think utilizing a form would be best to enter this data, and have it update the tables accordingly.

Then using the queries to create a "Master File" which would be distributed amongst my team, and used to build graphs and charts.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    I wasn't concerned with your using a form for data input.

Then using the queries to create a "Master File" which would be distributed amongst my team, and used to build graphs and charts.
    What exactly do you intend to distribute?
    You can share the database among users (your team), but you should ensure it is split into front end and back end. Backend contains tables and resides on a shared drive. Front end contains queries, forms, macros, reports.. and a copy resides on each users PC.

I would like to export the query that creates the Master File, export to Excel. That file would be distributed amongst the team.

The database at this point, will only be managed by one person, so don't see the need at this time to have it split.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.