cover is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

MS Access table question

Hello, I have a table with 100,000 records in it and need to find away to read it from the bottom, or somehow flip it (ie sort) so I have the freshest entries first. There is no record ID or date on the entries to work on it from that perspective. So how do I 'up-end' the table to read most fresh records first?

I'm trying to work with parcel number entries in ArcGIS and it reads the first parcel number it sees in the table. Given the most accurate data was written last, I need to flip this where I can 'sort A-Z' in a sense.

TIA

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit
    You would use a query to define a sort order but without anything to sort on I'm not sure you will get what you want.

John_G is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Given that you have no data field to indicate the order in which the records were written, you may be out of luck. If the parcel number values are reliably incremented numerically or alphabetically as they are created, you could sort in descending order on that field, since the "largest" value would be the latest one created.

Access has no built-in record order, so there is no "first" or "last" record; it is up to the user to determine the order.

cover is offline Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by RuralGuy View Post
    You would use a query to define a sort order but without anything to sort on I'm not sure you will get what you want.
    Kind of a tough one... I get this data from the county as-is and for lack of an entry date or record ID, hoped there may be a way to basically flip the table where in effect, I'd be reading the data from the bottom after flip and save.

John_G is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Is the data you get from the county assumed to be in the "correct" order, i.e. the most recent entry is the last one?
    and
    What format is the data in?

If it is in a text file that you import, you might be able to add a field when you do the import that will allow you to retain the order.

cover is offline Novice
    So far, I've exported the data from the access table to excel, added a column and numbered it numerically, then did a reverse sort to get the bottom of the table (newest entries) to top. Looks like something may work on that approach - will keep you posted.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.