winginit is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

I need to allow 3 remote users to work on the same Access 2007 database simultaneously

I just learned today that it is possible to open multiple instances of the same Access 2007 database on the same machine. That being the case, here's what I have in mind, and would like any comments as to whether it is feasible or foolhardy:

I have a host computer on which I open 3 instances of my database, CDL.accdb (which has a split front and back end). My 3 employees then connect to the host remotely via GoToMyPC. Employee 1 works on "instance one", Employee 2 on instance 2, Employee 3 on instance 3. Emp 1 might edit customer data. Emp 2 data might input new orders, Employee 3 might be running batch operations (via macros opening action queries).

All three would be editing and viewing the same backend in (near) real-time. In theory it seems that this "multi-instance" environment could be highly collaborative: if emp 1 has a question for emp 3, emp 3 could just maximize emp 1's taskbar and be viewing exactly where emp one is, what form they are on, where their cursor is, etc. In fact, emp 3 could "take over the controls" of emp 1's instance, while emp 1 observes and learns.

Any thoughts, comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    I don't see how they could work concurrently. It's like 3 people sitting at the same computer. You'd need something like Terminal Services for them to work concurrently.
    Last edited by pbaldy; 10-18-2016 at 09:06 AM. Reason: fix goof
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

winginit is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    doh! I'm a brick sometimes! Of course 3 ppl can't be sending keyboard and mouse commands to a single pc, regardless of the how many instances of Access may be running concurrenlty on the host.

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    The part about observing and learning is certainly viable, but only one person can be controlling at one time. Sort of like a presentation, where one person can show others how to do something.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.