ntsupport is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Return Aggrigate function (Min) and another field

Hi;

This seems so simple, but i can't work it out.....

I have three tables with relationships, tripdata, profile, profiledetails.
    tripdata: contains destination, departuretime, driver etc... is linked to profile by profileid
    profile: contains the name of the trip profile

profiledetail: contains tminus, phase, profileid. The phases are Checkin, Boarding, Departed. Tminus represents the number of minuites before the tripdata.departuretime that this phase starts.

I want to select destination, departuretime and current phase for the TOP 10 future departures.

This query returns the correct data, however it is missing one field: phase

Example 1:
    Code:

SELECT DISTINCTROW TOP 10 tripdata.destination, tripdata.departuretime, Min(DateAdd("n",-[tminus],[departuretime])) AS [current]
    FROM (profile INNER JOIN tripdata ON profile.id = tripdata.profileid) INNER JOIN profiledetail ON profile.id = profiledetail.profileid
    GROUP BY tripdata.destination, tripdata.departuretime
    HAVING (((Min(DateAdd("n",-[tminus],[departuretime])))>Now()))
    ORDER BY Min(DateAdd("n",-[tminus],[departuretime]));
    however, when i add the phase field, i get a row for each trip for each phase, and not just the current phase (ie Min is ignored):

Code:
    SELECT DISTINCTROW TOP 10 tripdata.destination, tripdata.departuretime, Min(DateAdd("n",-[tminus],[departuretime])) AS [current], profiledetail.phase
    FROM (profile INNER JOIN tripdata ON profile.id = tripdata.profileid) INNER JOIN profiledetail ON profile.id = profiledetail.profileid
    GROUP BY tripdata.destination, tripdata.departuretime, profiledetail.phase
    HAVING (((Min(DateAdd("n",-[tminus],[departuretime])))>Now()))
    ORDER BY Min(DateAdd("n",-[tminus],[departuretime]));
    how can i get the extra field showing the currentphase as in example 2, but only have one row for each trip as in example 1.

I have tried left joins, right joins, two queries, but i can't seem to get it to work right...

Thank You

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    You might try this...

Create a query similar to your first query, except not an aggregate query and not a TOP query:

query name: qryBaseData
    SELECT tripdata.destination, tripdata.departuretime, DateAdd("n",-[tminus],[departuretime])AS [current], phase

Now create another query that brings in your first query and qryBaseData, join the two by destination, departuretime and current. Select the fields you want to display.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.