Kookai is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows Vista Access 2007

Database Design - Newbie

We need to create a database for our as-built drawings using MS access. Anyone here who can help me?!

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    What have you done so far re Database?
    What do you do with your as-built drawings?
    Why do ou think Access or database generally is/should be involved?

Hi Orange,

Thanks for the reply to my post.

I havent done anything yet, i only have it on my notebook. I need to get all the information first before designing.

What do you do with your as-built drawings?
    We are handling multiple projects, and each project has different contractor, and we receive the final documents which are the As-Built at the of the project (the most important documents). We register the As-Built drawings (the problem is, each of us maintain an excel register, and sometimes the other updates the as-built without unintentionally informing the others resulting to giving wrong info to contractors)

Why do ou think Access or database generally is/should be involved?
    We need to have one database that store all our documents and can pull out information as well (reports and search). And this will be our main database to eliminate giving wrong info or drawings to our future contractors.

Do you think its possible?

thank you

Interesting. You have focused on the As-Built drawings, but isn't there more to your projects than the drawings?

I think the key statement in your post is
    The problem is, each of us maintain an excel register, and sometimes the other updates the as-built without unintentionally informing the others resulting to giving wrong info to contractors
    To me this says --we do not have a consistent data management regime within our organization. This is different than database, although database may be part of the overall picture. The implication of poor data management practices is, as you have said, wrong information to customers which could have negative affects on customer relations and revenue.

If you had a "single, authoritative database" to house your as-built drawings and related info, why would people use it? Who will build it? Where would the resources come from to build it? Are there other parts of your business that should be included? How would you know? Does anyone in your senior management recognize the issue you have identified?

Do you ( or the organization generally) have a clear picture of the overall business and how the pieces/divisions/sections fit together? As you have identified - duplication of effort in the as-built drawings area is having an affect on customers, so it is a least possible that duplication/miscommunication of other processes may be happening in other areas.
    This may be time, or the impetus, for a broader review of data management.

For your own area consider the business and processes and focus on the basics --who, what, where, when, why, how and how often.
    Who are you (your group withing the organization)?
    What exactly do you do? What are the processes that bring work to you? What are the processes that support what you do? What is/are the processes that transfer outputs of what you do to the next group?
    Where does the information get developed/modified/stored? Is it properly maintained/backed-up/protected?
    How is it protected/backed-up? Are standard procedures in place/being developed/in use?
    Are business processes/practices reviewed?
    How are procedures communicated to those who use them directly, and to those who must interface with those procedures? That is, do people know about and use or get trained on the procedures they are expected to use.

Specific to your
    I havent done anything yet, i only have it on my notebook. I need to get all the information first before designing.

Do you have an understanding of database concepts? Have you designed any sample databases or is this your first such project? Access is NOT just a large Excel. These are different software built on different object models to support different kinds of information.
    There are many tutorials on the internet that can help with concepts and specific topics.

Here is a link to another thread where I have suggested some related videos. Post #4

Good luck.

To me this says --we do not have a consistent data management regime within our organization. This is different than database, although database may be part of the overall picture. The implication of poor data management practices is, as you have said, wrong information to customers which could have negative affects on customer relations and revenue.

If you had a "single, authoritative database" to house your as-built drawings and related info, why would people use it? Who will build it? Where would the resources come from to build it? Are there other parts of your business that should be included? How would you know? Does anyone in your senior management recognize the issue you have identified?

We actually have a data management for storing documents itself. But as Doc Controller we maintain a register for all our incoming and outgoing documents. That’s why I want to establish a one single database for our department so all of us will be looking at the same register only. (but of course with limited access to others)

Do you ( or the organization generally) have a clear picture of the overall business and how the pieces/divisions/sections fit together? As you have identified - duplication of effort in the as-built drawings area is having an affect on customers, so it is a least possible that duplication/miscommunication of other processes may be happening in other areas.
    This may be time, or the impetus, for a broader review of data management.

For your own area consider the business and processes and focus on the basics --who, what, where, when, why, how and how often.
    Who are you (your group withing the organization)? Document Controllers
    What exactly do you do? What are the processes that bring work to you? What are the processes that support what you do? What is/are the processes that transfer outputs of what you do to the next group?
    We are involved in the process of getting the deliverables approved and once approved and built we received the final documentation “As-Builts” and register.

Where does the information get developed/modified/stored? Is it properly maintained/backed-up/protected? The deliverables are stored in our EDMS, but no registration involved.
    How is it protected/backed-up? Are standard procedures in place/being developed/in use? As per our IT policy
    Are business processes/practices reviewed?
    How are procedures communicated to those who use them directly, and to those who must interface with those procedures? That is, do people know about and use or get trained on the procedures they are expected to use.

Specific to your

Do you have an understanding of database concepts? Have you designed any sample databases or is this your first such project? Access is NOT just a large Excel. These are different software built on different object models to support different kinds of information. I have no experience with MS Access, this is actually my first project.
    There are many tutorials on the internet that can help with concepts and specific topics.

Here is a link to another thread where I have suggested some related videos. Post #4

thank you

kookai,

Review the tutorials and videos I mentioned in previous post to get an appreciation of the concepts and processes involved in database design. I would also suggest that you watch some videos on systems analysis and design. There are some good ones by BA-Experts (short, to the point, with some humour).

Your document management practices are not working as intended, since various users/controllers have their own registers and customers get wrong information.

As for database, research, review and learn the related concepts. Do some of the tutorials until you understand the processes involved. Build a few sample databases-- these could be subsections of your planned document management system. Test them with test data and make sure you can retrieve, store and manipulate the information you need. Keep your colleagues or others who will be/are involved in your document management plans fully aware of your analysis and findings. Things will be better if those, who are expected to use the system and procedures, involved and part of your team.

There are a number of free data models and the business facts they are based on at Barry Williams site.
    Search for "document control" or "document management".

Good luck.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.