ewalkerpcs is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit

Access 2GB Limit Size Options

Thanks in advance for your help.

I have a database that I'm attaching pictures to data within the table to make a catalog. I've recently hit the 2GB limit though and don't understand what I need to do to make it so that I can add more pictures as I am not done yet. The error code I'm getting is "Unrecognized database format 'C:\Users...". From what I've read online, it's because I've reached my 2GB limit.

I've seen an option that tells me to "The best way is to backup your 2GB file and rename it to PART2 and delete the original database." but I'm not sure what that means. How do I back it up and link the databases together so that I don't hit the 2GB wall?

E.C.

aytee111 is offline Competent At Times
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2013 32bit
    Do you need to store the pictures in the database? It would be better to store the file name instead.

Unrecognized database format speaks of a corrupted database. See http://www.allenbrowne.com/ser-47.html on database corruption.

I actually do need to store them in it. I have a copy of the database that's 2.99GB and it works fine. As soon as I try to attach an additional pic though it gives me that error message.

You may want to consider changing to an SQL Server back-end. Otherwise you are going to have to make multiple Access databases, there doesn't seem to be any way to get around the size limitation.

Thanks. So how do I link the multiple databases together? I probably don't have very many pictures left that will need to be loaded. Another 500MB and I'd be fine. (as far as the SQL Server back-end, that's WAY beyond my scope of knowledge. I'm just learning Access, and we've used it before like this, but I just have a lot more pics now than I did 3 years ago.)

You would have one front-end database, the one with the forms and queries and such, the one that has the user-interface.

Then you would have multiple back-end databases with only the data stored in them. I wouldn't go over 1.5gb for each, to be on the safe side.

Then in your front-end under External Data you would link the tables from the back-ends to the front-end.

How are the pictures stored, one per table or all in one table?

Build a second database and store the pictures in a table in that second data base. Then link the table with the pictures to the first database.

On the ribbon, external data, Access, then link instead of import.

Awesome. I'll give that a try in just a bit and confirm it worked. Thank you for your help!

Hello Alansidman - I was able to get the databases linked to a "Master" database to get around my storage issue, but here is my new dilemma...

I need to be able to link the pictures attached within multiple tables together in the Master database.

Here's what I have:

• Lou PFEP is setup in the “Master” database
    • Pics are linked from the 2 databases that have 1GB pictures in each to the Master database

The way I currently have the Master database setup is:

• Lou PFEP has all the part information listed in one Table (Part #, Description, etc)
    • 2 separate picture databases are linked to the Master in tables named “Items1” and “Items2”
    • “Items” table is not being used. It’s the old table that I just haven’t deleted yet and lists all the original pictures

My issue is that I don’t know how to connect each of the tables to the PFEP so that it pulls all the pictures together into the Query. I can get the pictures from one table to link, but not both unless I add both fields as separate columns, but that doesn't work for me. How do I set it up so that the pictures from both tables match with the Part Number and populate together as one result?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.