Storing on a Cloud Based Server; using Run Time for Front End.

I am starting a project that will place the Access DB on a Cloud Based Server (not dropbox or box.net). The end-users are a small not for profit and resources are limited. They will be using Access Run Time as the client. I know that if they were using a full blown version of Access, I could split the DB front end and back end and link them with out issue. Since this will be my first time with a Cloud Based Server and Run Time, will this also be doable? Or, will I have to keep the front end and back end unsplit to make this work in this environment and these conditions. Thanks guys.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    The problem is maintaining a connection and not orphaning accdl files. Have you considered using a Azure SQL Server? They offer a server that can be part of PaaS. So there is not any maintenance on the SQL server or the SQL server side. You just set it up and use it. It is not free, but there are nice options for geo-redundancy and such.

Anyway, if they have a descent internet connection you can connect to the server via VBA using the connection string. By nature, Access is stateful. Using VBA, you can control when there is a connection to the persistent data.

Thanks for the information. Not familiar with PaaS. Also, when setting up tables in Azure SQL Server, do they act and format similarly to Access.

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Also, when setting up tables in Azure SQL Server, do they act and format similarly to Access.
    similar. They don't support lookup or multivalue fields (which are unique to access), have a wider variety of datatypes but will generally convert OK

As a test, download and install a copy of sql server express (it's free) and use the upsizing wizard to sql server to see what issues you may get.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    Yeah, you just need to be careful when picking your data types. I never tried the Upsizing Wizard. Interesting.

One tool that I have used to convert from Access to SQL server is SQL Server Migration Assistant for Access
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...=sql.110).aspx

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.