orange is online now Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL

Looking for instructions for installing 32 bit ODBC on Windows 10 64 bit

I am trying to use the free community edition of ErWin data modeller (R9.64) to reverse engineer an Access accdb database. In order to do so I have to treat the Access database as an ODBC database and therefore connect to it via ODBC.

I am trying to find detailed instructions, preferably a youtube video, but have been unsuccessful.

I don't use ODBC often. In fact I don't recall using an ODBC connection since retiring a few years ago.
    The error I am receiving is shown in the jpg below.

As per the title, I have Office2010 32 bit installed. I also have Windows 10 64 bit as my OS.

Any advice/assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Erwin_AccessODBCError.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	26056

orange

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    Which DSN did you choose? The last time I created a DSN for an Access DB was many moons ago. It was for the deprecated Access Server Pages.

I did not watch the entire video, but this link seems trustworthy.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1Ngdy0Sn5I

Thanks ItsMe.
    I haven't set up ODBC connections since leaving work ~8 years ago.
    I set up a User DSN, identified the database but get the error.

I have used ERwin previous versions and have interacted with Access database. In the earlier version there was support for Access. That has changed and now there is no direct support for Access, but support for ODBC.
    Things on my end have changed since the time of Access support. The version of community edition is now r9.64. The documentation I have found still references v7 and v8. I have a newer laptop Lenovo I7, and now with Windows 10.
    Some of the ODBC DSNs listed are older -- I take it that my files were saved as new version of Erwin was installed.

I created a brand new DSN and think I used the 32 bit driver from the sysWow library.

My plan is to talk to someone at CA/ERwin and get my account (to access their knowledge base/forum) updated. The Product has changed ownership and I think I'm messed up in their system.

I can't sign on to Erwin.com with the last password I have; and if I try to register it says I'm already a member???

I think my issue is related to 32 bit Office/Access and 64 bit OS and not sure of what ERwin software is expecting.
    The community edition product will work with up to 25 tables and should support forward and reverse engineering
    according to the documentation and previous versions.

Thanks for the link. I believe I did everything as per the video.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    Check out this link. I have had similar stuff when trying to use SSMS tools to connect to Access files. You need to launch the wizard or app that is helping you as a 32 bit version.
    https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/far...4-bit-machine/

Also IIRC, you need a system DSN created that represents a system connection to the database. Then, you can use connection strings or a client DSN to refer to the system DSN. Although, don't quote me on that because I have to use reference material every time I attempt such stuff.

I "chatted" with rep at CA (computer associates). No real help other than to say that Erwin has been separated from CA.
    He gave me a chat url for Erwin.com, but when I went there I needed a corporate id -- even though I said I was retired IT/DBA working alone with the free community edition. So, I decided to remove the 64bit version of the free edition and replace same with the 32 bit version of the same r9.64 release. Downloaded and installed. You can not have both 32 and 64 bit versions on same machine at same time.

I was able to reverse engineer an MSAccess database and get all tables and columns, but no relationships. When I asked for relationships based on indexes, the application crashed (repeatedly). I found that as long as I didn't ask for inferred relationships, I could get tables and columns.

There is documentation with the software, but not with respect to ODBC databases or configuration. I have not found any user group or forum dedicated to the free community edition. I do realize it is a piece of the larger, very extensive Data modelling package, but thought there must be a user group of personal, small users or education institutions. Nothing.

It seems the proper spot to get info is Erwin.com. But it is also strange that if I go to a link to download either 64 or 32 version of the free Erwin Community Edition and do so, the welcoming/thanking email is from cainfo, and the email says
    "Thank you for registering for the CA ERwin Data Modeler Community Edition."

It certainly seems they are still processing/rebranding/separating any corporate sites that interact with general users. Hopefully, the paying customers are less confused than I am (and the other poor folks who use the free and limited Community Edition).

For anyone following this, the product does offer great modeling support and the documentation has lots of info re Normalization, relationships, cardinality, sub and super types and supports logical and physical models. It is limited and only supports 25 tables/entities per model.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.