f15e is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Read Design & Read Data Issue

I have a dilemma I'm hoping you can help me with. I received a database that needs to be updated and there are permission issues that are keeping me from accessing the entire database. I am doing this for the company I work even though this is not my normal line of work. I've worked with and created small databases but by no means am I an expert.

The question I have is if there is a way around these permissions. I have access to the tables and queries, but the permissions arise for the Forms, Reports, and Macros. I get the following error for each form, report and macros in the Access database:

You don't have permission to import, export, or link to 'XXXXXXX.'
    To import, export, or link to this object you must have Read Design and Read Data permissions for it. For more information on permissions and who can set them, click help.

where the 'XXXXXXX.' is the title of the macro, form or report. The other problem I have is that the person who built the database is no longer with the company so I can't go to him with questions on resolving this.
    I would GREATLY appreciate any help you can provide with this. If you have any questions to help me with this, please let me know and I'll get right back to you.

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    You NEED to ask him for the password ,(if you know where he is)
    otherwise you may need to rebuild.

I don't believe it's password protected because nowhere am I prompted to enter a password and I also used a few Access password tools to see if any passwords exist and it showed that there were none. I think it has to do with user and group level permissions but I don't know much about this part of Access. If anyone does and has suggestions, please let me know.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    Admittedly, that message is not ringing a bell. I am wondering if the person who created the application created this message as a custom message box.

What is the file extension of the file you are interacting with? Is this something that is dependent on many files, e.g. front end and back end, dll files, etc.? What happens if you click Help and what exactly did you do to prompt the message?

orange is online now Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL

NightWalker is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    http://www.dbforums.com/showthread.p...rrupt-database! check this link it sounds like the same problem and what they did to fix it.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    Nice find. I guess they did select a user to login as.

Sorry for the time away. Got caught up in some other work. After reading more on this, it looks as though access to the database was through the .mdw file which contained a workgroup, users within the workgroup and I assume a password/ID that was setup by the DB developer. The problem is that this DB was created 7 or more years ago by someone at our parent company in the Netherlands and that person is no longer with the company. I don't think the database has even been used for the past few years. I am going to try to hunt down the file but my feeling is that it's long gone.

My new question is, without the original .mdw file containing the workgroup, users, and password/ID, I'm pretty much screwed correct? I've tried to import the tables, macros, reports, and one query into a new DB but received permission errors. Actually, the tables and one query imported ok but errors on the macros and reports. No matter what I try, I get these errors which leads me to believe the only way around this is finding the original .mdw file. Is there any other way around this?

Thank in advance.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.