wcrimi is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 8 Access 2013

Import Data from Database into Same Table Name in another Database

I have 2 databases. Let's call them A and B

Let say I have Table X in database A and Table X in database B.

I want to directly import the data from Database A/Table X into Database B/Table X.

How can I do it?

When I try to do it, it creates a new table X 1.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    A typical scenario would be to have a third Access file manage the manipulation of the data. In other words, Data is usually stored, centrally, in the Backend where multiple frontends access and understand the Persistent data that is the Backend.

So, my first question is relative to the topology you are employing. Do you have a setup where you have split databases? I ask this because the answer to your question, how can I do it, is to build a query. I suppose there is more to it than, building a query.

wcrimi is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    This is related to another issue we spoke about regarding running out of space in my primary database.

What I've done is taken my "monster" table and created a new database with it. That has effectively split the data between 2 databases. Now I an experimenting with the best way to communicate between the two.

I could bring some selected data over and it would be called X1. Then I could write an append from X1 to X. I was just wondering is there was a simpler way.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by wcrimi View Post
    ... That has effectively split the data between 2 databases. Now I an experimenting with the best way to communicate between the two...
    Thank you for reminding me about the other thread. As for having two databases, that is fine. However, I am still not understanding if each of these two databases contain persistent data. So, you can have multiple backends. Each backend will store data that is unique, specific to the database. This data will be available to others as the authoritative data because it persists in its respective database.

If I am to understand the situation you created, you have two backend files and you want to have them somehow synchronize with each other. If this is the case, I will refer back to normalization of data. Two backend databases should not synchronize. They might replicate. Replication is different.

Synchronization is akin to data validation. An autonomous front end might desire a snapshot of data. When it grabs a snapshot, it process the data autonomously. Other Users/FE's do not understand what is going on with this snapshot. As time ticks by, the snapshot becomes stale. The authoritative/persistent data is still on the backend. Other users look to the backend for the latest and greatest. After the user is done with its snapshot, it synchronizes with the persistent data, using various methods of data validation. Now I am back to using queries (other tools too).

I think you might want to consider and separate out FE files from the persistent data.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.