Wendiewithanie is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2003

Noob here, Transferring ACCESS 2003 database to new laptop. Help.

Hi, Ok just so you know I know nothing about ACCESS but I've inherited and manage the database for our community. I've been managing ACCESS 2003 on a laptop that took a turn for the worse. Fortunately that laptop was backed up and the database is getting loaded on my new laptop tonight.

So here is my question... I need to purchase a version of ACCESS that I can install on the new laptop that will integrate with the 2003 ACCESS database that is getting loaded. Where can I buy MS ACCESS stand alone? What version should I get, 2013? I currently have Office 2013 on the new laptop.

I want to reiterate that I do not know much about ACCESS nor am I a techie so keep your answers as if you are talking to a 5 year old.

Access 2013 can read and operate a 2003 db. I have several db, that were developed in Access XP (2002) that work without issue on my Win 10 Access 2013 software.

Google Microsoft Access 2013 and several hits will show you available options.

Quote Originally Posted by alansidman View Post
    Access 2013 can read and operate a 2003 db. I have several db, that were developed in Access XP (2002) that work without issue on my Win 10 Access 2013 software.

Google Microsoft Access 2013 and several hits will show you available options.
    Thank you for your reply and help!

Quote Originally Posted by Wendiewithanie View Post
    Thank you for your reply and help!
    Ok, I'm having no success finding MS ACCESS 2013 download online. Does anyone know if ACCESS 2016 will work? I'm using Office 2013 on my laptop currently. Thanks in advance for any help.

I don't know for sure, but I suspect that it will work. Most of MS applications are backwards compatible.

BTW, I did a quick google search for Access 2013 and found this: https://www.google.com/search?q=Acce...013%20download

I don't know for sure, but I suspect that it will work. Most of MS applications are backwards compatible.

BTW, I did a quick google search for Access 2013 and found this: https://www.google.com/search?q=Acce...013%20download
    Thanks, yes so did I but most of those sites offer the full package of Office with ACCESS included not just ACCESS 2013 stand alone. The two companies that did offer the stand alone.. one gave me problems at checkout and the other one ... well, no one exists. I also read somewhere that 2003 version and 2016 were not compatible.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    I do not know if you are going to find it. IIRC, 2013 was the first year that they started the exclusive download from the MS mother ship (no DVD in the retail version). I did a quick look at the vendors I use and one vendor had an Access 2007 but nothing for 2013. They had some Open licensing options, but I do not believe that is going to help.

As for Access 2016 on a system with Office 2013, I believe you may find some references to people that have done it. I have always considered it expedient to not mix the versions, especially after 2010.

This link might help to start
    https://support.office.com/en-us/art...7-b78c513788bf

Towards the end of the previous link I provided there is a Side by Side link. See below ..
    https://support.office.com/en-us/art...rs=en-US&ad=US

Quote Originally Posted by ItsMe View Post
    I do not know if you are going to find it. IIRC, 2013 was the first year that they started the exclusive download from the MS mother ship (no DVD in the retail version). I did a quick look at the vendors I use and one vendor had an Access 2007 but nothing for 2013. They had some Open licensing options, but I do not believe that is going to help.

As for Access 2016 on a system with Office 2013, I believe you may find some references to people that have done it. I have always considered it expedient to not mix the versions, especially after 2010.

This link might help to start
    https://support.office.com/en-us/art...7-b78c513788bf

Towards the end of the previous link I provided there is a Side by Side link. See below ..
    https://support.office.com/en-us/art...rs=en-US&ad=US
    Ah.... so that makes sense on why I am not finding it anywhere. Thanks for your links and help. What I probably need to do is purchase Office 2013 or 2016 with ACCESS included and just uninstall the Office 2013 that I have here now. Would that be the best thing to do?

Windows 8 Access 2013
    Microsoft Office Professional is the version that includes Access. I did another search and I did find one vendor I trust that has Microsoft Office Professional 2013. However, they are asking $400. I am not going to recommend any vendors but I did find a couple on the net that is offering Pro 2013 for around $100. I will leave it up to you if you want to go for 2013 or 2016.

But yeah, I don't think you are going to be able to add Access to your existing Office Suite. And if you do find a way, it won't be fun.

Microsoft Office Professional is the version that includes Access. I did another search and I did find one vendor I trust that has Microsoft Office Professional 2013. However, they are asking $400. I am not going to recommend any vendors but I did find a couple on the net that is offering Pro 2013 for around $100. I will leave it up to you if you want to go for 2013 or 2016.

But yeah, I don't think you are going to be able to add Access to your existing Office Suite. And if you do find a way, it won't be fun.

You're right. I found Office Pro 2013 for $126 with 6 good reviews. I think that's the route I'm going to take. Thanks again, you've been a HUGE help.

Also, If your company subscribes to Home User Program, (HUP) with Microsoft, you can buy a full Office for approximately $15.00. The caveat here is your company must subscribe to HUP. Check this link to see if you qualify: http://www.microsofthup.com/hupus/home.aspx

Also, If your company subscribes to Home User Program, (HUP) with Microsoft, you can buy a full Office for approximately $15.00. The caveat here is your company must subscribe to HUP. Check this link to see if you qualify: http://www.microsofthup.com/hupus/home.aspx
    Thanks for the info ... I'm an independent contractor plus the ACCESS software is used for my volunteer work so HUP would not apply unfortunately.

Found an ACCESS stand alone for 2013, what do you think? http://xprostock.com/microsoft-acces...-key-download/

Windows 8 Access 2013
    I do not have any experience with that vendor. It does seem encouraging that they offer a contact address and phone number. However, they are advertising extremely low prices. I do not believe these prices are allowed by Microsoft to be advertised that low. Usually, the vendor will at least ask you to add the item to your cart prior to understanding the cost.

I do not have any experience with that vendor. It does seem encouraging that they offer a contact address and phone number. However, they are advertising extremely low prices. I do not believe these prices are allowed by Microsoft to be advertised that low. Usually, the vendor will at least ask you to add the item to your cart prior to understanding the cost.
    Ok, thank you. I thought it was too good to be true myself.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.