VAer is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit

Automatically importing data from database?

I am not familiar with Database (not an IT folk), and I think one of workplace database is Sybase (I have username and password to access the database).

Is there any template Access code to pull data from sybase database into Access? I checked ODBC connection, I am confirm that they are connected.

Thanks.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Have you spoken to your Sybase DBA? MY guess is that the DBA knows how to connect to the database.

Quote Originally Posted by orange View Post
    Have you spoken to your Sybase DBA? MY guess is that the DBA knows how to connect to the database.
    We (workplace) have multiple database (oracle, sybase, MySQL, etc), which are maintained by IT folks. First of all, I don't know whom I need to contact; secondly, I have to go through supervisor first, if I need anything, then my supervisor needs to contact someone (a IT supervisor) in order to coordinate that, I just cannot ask IT folks to do something for me directly. It is a big organization, and it is bureaucratic too. For all the years, people just manually pull data by running query then copying data to a excel sheet.

I have to figure out by myself, it is not IT folks' duty to provide any assistance. Moreover, I doubt if they know how to do it(no one use Access in my workplace). Most of work were done by contractors, and they left after finishing contracts. Permanent IT employees are just responsible for maintaining database. IT employees did not develop anything, they are just maintain database, so IT employees' skill sets are not as sharp as contractors.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    I have to figure out by myself, it is not IT folks' duty to provide any assistance.
    If the ability to use Access to interact with other databases (Sybase/Oracle MySQL) is part of your job description, then your organization/management/supervisor has some obligation to train you or give you instructional materials to do so according to your organization's standards and security regime.

However, if you are trying to gain access to your organization's databases through unauthorized means, then I'd suggest you consult your management for more detailed instructions and permission/authorization to use the appropriate tools.

Please tell us more about the data and information management practices of your organization.

How did Access get on your PC?

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by orange View Post
    If the ability to use Access to interact with other databases (Sybase/Oracle MySQL) is part of your job description, then your organization/management/supervisor has some obligation to train you or give you instructional materials to do so according to your organization's standards and security regime.

However, if you are trying to gain access to your organization's databases through unauthorized means, then I'd suggest you consult your management for more detailed instructions and permission/authorization to use the appropriate tools.

Please tell us more about the data and information management practices of your organization.

How did Access get on your PC?

Good luck.
    You are totally misunderstand. It is not my duty to know the skill, but it is something nice to know. It is just about self-exploring some knowledge and learn some new skills, which will improve work efficiency. Regarding "....unauthorized means...", that is nonsense, I have username/password to access the work related database. First, the database cannot be access from private computer, and it has to be accessed from a work computer. I am quite good at developing some small applications for my team, and I am a relatively good programmer in my team (my team are not IT folks), there is not anybody to train me. I have no ideas what you mean security.... I am just trying to build an application to automatically pull data into access, if I don't know how to do it, I can still get the data manually, all I need to do is copying data to excel sheet. As I said in the first post, the database is already in my work computer's ODBC connection list, every employee is authorized to access the database. So I have to build an Access application from my work computer.

I am asking a simple question, and you are too much overthinking, and your points are nonsense.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Hmmmmm.....

I wonder why people that are asking for help get so pissy when people that are trying to help ask a few clarifying questions???

We don't know anything about you, your job or your skills.
    I think orange asked pertinent questions.

You could have replied "Gee, thanks for the concern. The database is already in my work computer's ODBC connection list, every employee is authorized to access the database; so I would like to build an Access application from my work computer instead of using Excel."

But you had to reply "I am asking a simple question, and you are too much overthinking, and your points are nonsense."

But I will give you a hint: figure out how Excel is connecting to Sybase. If Excel can connect to Sybase, Access can.

Good luck. I'm out.........

Quote Originally Posted by ssanfu View Post
    Hmmmmm.....

I wonder why people that are asking for help get so pissy when people that are trying to help ask a few clarifying questions???

We don't know anything about you, your job or your skills.
    I think orange asked pertinent questions.

You could have replied "Gee, thanks for the concern. The database is already in my work computer's ODBC connection list, every employee is authorized to access the database; so I would like to build an Access application from my work computer instead of using Excel."

But you had to reply "I am asking a simple question, and you are too much overthinking, and your points are nonsense."

But I will give you a hint: figure out how Excel is connecting to Sybase. If Excel can connect to Sybase, Access can.

Good luck. I'm out.........
    Thanks, I did not reply in a nice way, sorry. I just thought that both of the two replied posts are not related to my question, I just thought those questions are beyond the topic, not really pertinent questions. If a person asks some html code to display some data (from database) on a website, by default, the person has already had authorization to access the data. If the person does not have the access (does not have username/password), then the data will not be displayed on the website, even if he has html code. I am not an IT person, but I think it is common sense logic. I did feel somewhat frustrated to answer some non-related questions. The post is not about if having the database access or not, it is just about how to pull out data automatically, not in a manual way.

OK, but look at it this way:
    Someone says: "I don't know databases, but I need help in modifying my database to manage my DVD collection"

This is WAY different than someone that says: "I don't know databases, but I have a username and password for a company mission critical database and I want to muck around in it".
    Yes, I did add a few words, but you get the point? Wouldn't you want to know a little more about the person wanting to get into a secure database? Especially if the IT dept doesn't know about it?

So how far along in the Access dB are you?

OK, but look at it this way:
    Someone says: "I don't know databases, but I need help in modifying my database to manage my DVD collection"

This is WAY different than someone that says: "I don't know databases, but I have a username and password for a company mission critical database and I want to muck around in it".
    Yes, I did add a few words, but you get the point? Wouldn't you want to know a little more about the person wanting to get into a secure database? Especially if the IT dept doesn't know about it?

So how far along in the Access dB are you?
    I know, at the moment I replied the post, and I feel like I am treated as I am trying to steal data ("through unauthorized means"). I have been around with organization many years, all I am trying to do is improving some work efficiency. No matter how you build an application, if do not have database access, then the data will not be pulled out. All are work related data and employees are allowed to access. It is not about IT dept, the database is in every employee's computer's ODBC connection list, people can access the database all the time without letting IT dept know. If you go to a free community park and the park gate is wide open, do you still need to ask park employee's permission to enter the park? The opened gate tells you the answer.

Anyway, this whole thread is way out of topic. I am out.

Quote Originally Posted by VAer View Post
    I know, at the moment I replied the post, and I feel like I am treated as I am trying to steal data ("through unauthorized means").
    I don't believe that was the intent. I think orange showed a lot of integrity asking those questions. In a company i used to work for, if I tried to bypass the IT dept, there would be consequences up to and including termination. So I think the questions were relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by VAer View Post
    I have been around with organization many years, all I am trying to do is improving some work efficiency.No matter how you build an application, if do not have database access, then the data will not be pulled out.
    Now we know more about you.

Question: What are your permissions regarding the Sybase dB? R/W or R/O?

Question: What do you feel is your programming (VBA) level?

Question: Have you created anything in your Access dB yet?

(got to go. My ride is here).....

I don't believe that was the intent. I think orange showed a lot of integrity asking those questions. In a company i used to work for, if I tried to bypass the IT dept, there would be consequences up to and including termination. So I think the questions were relevant.

Now we know more about you.

Question: What are your permissions regarding the Sybase dB? R/W or R/O?

Question: What do you feel is your programming (VBA) level?

Question: Have you created anything in your Access dB yet?

(got to go. My ride is here).....
    I don't think so, if you have the access, then IT dept already allow you to do whatever you are able to do within your permission level. Most employees have view only permission, that means most employees cannot delete data, etc. However, when people have view permission, they can run query and the related data shows up in a table, if the people need to analyze the data, they can manually copy the data into somewhere else. People always need the data to perform their job duties. From data security point, what is the difference between "manually copying data to excel file" and "automatically importing data into access file"?

Very good at Excel VBA, not much experience with Access. But Access is also database, I think it is more approximate to use Access to interact with other database. I have never tried to use VBA to interact between excel and database either, my VBA is limited to excel only.

Most employees have view only permission,
    OK, moving on.

You basically have two options: ADO or DAO.
    ADO: you write code to create a query and request data from the remote database. There are lots of examples on the web.
    DAO: create a ODBC data source, link to the remote database, execute a query, append the data to a table. Can be done with code, could be queries.
    Your Excel you are using now is a place to start regarding the ODBC data source for Access and the select query.

OK, moving on.

You basically have two options: ADO or DAO.
    ADO: you write code to create a query and request data from the remote database. There are lots of examples on the web.
    DAO: create a ODBC data source, link to the remote database, execute a query, append the data to a table. Can be done with code, could be queries.
    Your Excel you are using now is a place to start regarding the ODBC data source for Access and the select query.
    Then I should have ADO or DAO. I did not even know what ADO or DAO is when I replied your post. I am able to create query, but I am not familiar with database and don't really know how to describe it. I don't really deal with database interface directly, there is an interface(it is like a front door), and database is something behind the door. I am able to create query on that interface, just like creating a query in Access by pulling table and selecting fields. I have not started working on anything yet, but plan to do so when I find free time in a few weeks. Right now just get some information and see if it is do-able, don't want to try something if it is not accomplish-able.

Right now just get some information and see if it is do-able, don't want to try something if it is not accomplish-able.
    Using Access to get data from Sybase is no different than getting data from SQL Server, MySQL, Oracle, DB2, PostgreSQL, Informix, etc.

You might start by working through these tutorials:
    http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/forum/forum46.html

They will give you the basics of an Access database. Then you have to learn about split databases and connecting to remote databases.

Good luck with your project......

Using Access to get data from Sybase is no different than getting data from SQL Server, MySQL, Oracle, DB2, PostgreSQL, Informix, etc.

You might start by working through these tutorials:
    http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/forum/forum46.html

They will give you the basics of an Access database. Then you have to learn about split databases and connecting to remote databases.

Good luck with your project......
    Thanks, I will take a look at it in a few weeks.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.