AccessNovice16 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013 64bit

Calculate percentages within a query

Hi,

I'm trying to calculate the percentage that each calculated line item in a query represents of the total of all calculated items and I cannot figure out how to calculate the denominator without error. If it helps, here is how I'm calculating the individual line items:

SELECT DISTINCTROW [Sector Distribution].Category, Sum([Sector Distribution].WeightedExposure) AS SumOfWeightedExposure
    FROM [Sector Distribution], [Sector Denominator]
    GROUP BY [Sector Distribution].Category;

I now simply wish to sum all of the "WeightedExposure" and then divide each WeightedExposure by the total of all WeightedExposure. I would think this would be relatively easy to do but I'm a beginner who started working with Access less than two weeks ago. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    Make 2 queries,
    Q1, get the totals of the ID.
    Q2, join Q1 and your data table, sum the parts, and calc Pct.
    id, sum(field), sum(field)/Q1.TotalOfFld

AccessNovice16 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013 64bit
    Thank you. So I've done that...had to use more than two actually...but now I have a final query that brings in numerators, which I can see are correct by line item, and denominator on each line, which I can also see is correct, but when I try dividing one by the other, I just get blanks in that final column. Here is the current SQL:

SELECT [Sector Numerator].Category, [Sector Numerator].SumOfWeightedExposure, [Sector Denominator].SumOfWeightedExposure, [Sector Numerator]![SumOfWeightedExposure]/[Sector Denominator]![SumOfWeightedExposure] AS Sector
    FROM (Sector INNER JOIN [Sector Numerator] ON Sector.Category = [Sector Numerator].Category) INNER JOIN [Sector Denominator] ON Sector.Period = [Sector Denominator].Period
    GROUP BY [Sector Numerator].Category, [Sector Numerator].SumOfWeightedExposure, [Sector Denominator].SumOfWeightedExposure;

I don't receive any errors, which is why I am puzzled. Any further thoughts?

Thanks!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.