lzook88 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Complicated Query Showing Duplicates

Okay here we go trying to explain this......

I have a table and a query.

The table (tblEmployee) lists out the EMPLOYEES and all of their information and what they want to do

The query (qryDeclined) lists out what DETAILS they declined to do.

So i have a query that pulls up the Employee info and the Declined info together for a report. But if an Employee declines more than 1 thing the query is showing duplicates (1 for each decline, even if they are different details on the tbl)

so here we go

QryDetail1
    Employee_ID - tblEmployee - Autonumber
    EmployeeID - tblEmployee - short text
    EmployeeName - tblEmployee - short text
    EmployeStartDate - tblEmployee - date/time
    Detail1 - tblemployee - checkbox (Sorted to True)

Declined: IIf([qrydeclined].[DeclineDetail]=96,"Yes","No") -96 is the detail number on the declined detail table

DateDeclined: IIf([qrydeclined].[DeclineEmployee]=[EmployeeID] And [qrydeclined].[DeclineDetail]=96,[qrydeclined].[DeclineDate],"")

DateEligible: IIf([qrydeclined].[DeclineEmployee]=[EmployeeID] And [qrydeclined].[DeclineDetail]=96,[qrydeclined].[Eligible],"")

DeclineNts: IIf([qrydeclined].[DeclineEmployee]=[EmployeeID] And [qrydeclined].[DeclineDetail]=96,[qrydeclined].[DeclineNotes],"")

CurrentlyOnDetail - tblEmployee - checkbox (Sorted to False) (Not visible on query)
    AdministrativelyIneligble - tblEmployee - checkbox (Sorted to False) (Not visible on query)
    ArchviedEmployee - tblEmployee - checkbox (Sorted to False) (Not visible on query)

when i run the query and an employee has declined two DIFFERENT details it shows up like such

Employee_ID EmployeeID EmployeeName Detail1 EmployeeStartDate YES Date Date Notes
    Employee_ID EmployeeID EmployeeName Detail1 EmployeeStartDate NO Blank Blank Blank

I am trying to get rid of that one with the NO so it only shows up once on the report I run.. and then i can sort by the yes and no's

any help or ideas are greatly appreciated.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    if your table structure is one to many, you're going to get multiple records, you just have to narrow down your query more. For instance by grouping your reports by decline category so a person might appear in multiple categories. Or limit your report to a specific category. Alternately, if you wanted to find any person who had declined at least 1 category you would would use an aggregate query and use a min or max (depending on whether you're using a yes/no field or some other field) aggregation to create a single value for multiple rejections.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.