birpal is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

New to access please help - Thank you

Hi i was wondering if it would be possible to create a book or journal of data for each data which is all linked so it can be searched. Why like a book I need to keep each date to be a separate page and continue on from their. I've been keeping my record in a written binder for many years and wanted to finally take on the endeavor of computerizing my future records.

The format I seek is each page have a unique page # and unique date, however I also need to print these records aswell for keeping printed copy record in a binder (just in case - back-up if you will). But because of this some dates will have multiple pages and that is fine, just need the pages to continue consecutively that way the record can be searched for by date or page #.

Thank you so much - I wasn't sure if this is where i post my question in this forum - I apologize before hand.

If you know of a better program to take on this endeavor please let me know.

Also I would like to input data in single page format with a maximum of 30 entries in one page for printing purposes, but would like the abiluty to toggle pages and search for specific criteria.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    What you are describing is not really a relational database. Access works best when managing relational data. Why not create a bunch of Word documents and give each Word doc a meaningful name? You could use folders to segregate your Word docs.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    from your description you just need a single very simple table consisting of 2 fields. from you comment
    I would like to input data in single page format with a maximum of 30 entries in one page for printing purposes
    you are confusing data storage with data presentation. The two things are quite separate

tblJournal
    JournalDT Date primary key, default now() - note this will populate automatically, so you do not need to enter anything in this field
    Entry text either shorttext(max 255 char) or longtext >255 char

then in a query to list your entries with

SELECT datevalue(journalDT) as JournalDate, timevalue(journalDT) as Time, Entry
    FROM tblJournal
    ORDER BY JournalDT

but would like the abiluty to toggle pages and search for specific criteria
    all these things are possible but first confirm the above suggestion stores the data you require and in a way that works for finding and searching. When you have a number of test entries in the table, open the query, right click on a column heading to search for some data, sort or whatever to test that you can do what you want to do there.

If everything does as you require, you can move on to presentation (i.e. present max 30 journals per page per day, create a search form etc)

Note, you will need to clarify page number - presumably this starts off as 1 for Jan 1st either restarting each year or continuing on from some specific start date in the past. Also need to clarify if you need to print out 'blank' pages (i.e. no journals for that day), whether a day with more than 30 journal entries uses two or more page numbers or retains the first one

birpal is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Sorry for not clarifying but i planned it out a little and came with this:

Main menu ( is a calendar in which I can select a date/ month /year) in which i can select a date and it opens up the data for that date.

I want all the data in each date to be searchable by maximum 2 column filters - in case i need to search for something beyond 1 date.

Is this possible in access or excel?

CJ_London is offline VIP
    it's possible in both

birpal is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Can anyone please recommend a good study guide for windows Access.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    I can't make any specific recommendations but google 'learn access' or similar and you will find plenty of links to online training, some free, some not. Not sure what books are still available but look in Amazon or your local book store.

Which one suits you will depend on you, they all have different styles. There is a user on this forum - Lou Reed - who has used a variety of courses, so you could PM him/her for recommendations

birpal is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    thank you - all of you for you help.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.