Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    cdscivic is offline Resident Troll
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

Could Not Update; Currently Locked

Help

I have a Access FE/Access BE (split DB) situation where the end users all have their own FE ACCDE file. Amount of users is 20-100 at any given time. There are essentially 12 datasheet view forms where the user uses a drop down choice to choose one of three options and move on to the next record. This is where the error is occurring. Its been working great for months and out of no where, whammy!

So I have searched for the solution and made sure the following is done:
    • All forms - No Locks
    • ACCDE End User File AND Back End DB - No Locks / Open DBs by using record level locking / Default open mode - Shared
    • Compacted and repaired both FE/BE files (End user launches with a batch file that copies the main version to their desktop and opens it from there (own copy), so all user settings are in theory the same/correct

Im at a loss. It seems that page level locking is somehow introduced in to this, because once someone has the issue multiple do and its all on the same datasheet form.

• The choice box is a combo box on the table (just read this could be an issue and maybe should be moved to the form, sigh....)
    • There is a Data Macro (Before Change) on the tables that populates 2 fields, a user name field and a closed date time field.

That's it, there are no other items on the UI that the end user activates. They cannot add, delete records. All the form fields except 2 are locked down. The 2 that are not are a simple text field and the choice box.

Is the choice box a potential cause of this?

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit
    Any chance there is a Lookup Field involved? That is a Lookup defined at the table level rather than on a Form.

Perhaps, yes. I called it a combo box, but it is on the Lookup tab on the actual table. Is this what you mean?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image.PNG 
Views:	45 
Size:	15.4 KB 
ID:	25882

also thank you for the reply, I appreciate any assistance. I am far from a novice but I graduated from Google U, so I may not have some of the basic stuff installed in my brain correctly.

warmslime is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2013
    No, the combo box shouldn't present any problems. Can you edit a record in the table directly? (just open the table and edit a random record)

The problem is sporadic and I can't replicate it on demand. I will say it appears to happen on one form in one table when it does, thus affecting almost every user

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    Rural Guy seems to be concerned whether or not you have a lookup field at the table level. You have a lookup field at the table level.

Why do you believe you have a record locking issue? You mentioned that there is a problem, but you did not, exactly, describe the symptoms.

Oh man, you're right. So all the forms open in data sheet view and one field is the drop down that is in fact the table level lookup. That is literally the only Field the users change.

Recently, the issue users get is the error pop up "could not update, record locked" when changing the drop down menu. When it happens, it affects all users w that form open, not the users in different forms.

Alot if the reading I've done seems to point to the fact I need to change the lookup drop down to the form and use either a table source or manually input the choices for the drop down.

Tbh, and I'll eventually figure this part out, but I can't think of how to "submit" the choice to the back end table I'd I switch it to a form based lookup field, assuming it's an event since there is no "submit" button, it's a data sheet where users are simply updating preexisting records w the drop down.

The solution is really quite simple: http://btabdevelopment.com/how-to-re...t-table-level/

Well, sort of yes. Then I lose the drop down functionality right? After changing that, i need to make a new drop down field in the forms, point it at the newly "changed from lookup to text" field on the table, and figure out how to submit from the data sheet view when the choice is selected from the "form" drop down.

Is that accurate?

So I just tested this on a copy of the fe/be, I'm very confused as to how it still works after changing the combo to text on the table? Can you explain why please so I can wrap my head around this?

The Combo Box on the form remains with the same functionality. You are simply changing the table. It is like magic. That's why I sent the link, so you can see it works.

Quote Originally Posted by cdscivic View Post
    So I just tested this on a copy of the fe/be, I'm very confused as to how it still works after changing the combo to text on the table? Can you explain why please so I can wrap my head around this?
    In the background Access designed the correct control for your form and it is actually separate from the table except for the Control Source. By changing the table the control in now properly bound to a text field so it will work. There is a lot of information on the net about multi-value fields if you would like to do some research. Good luck with your project.

So essentially, when I made the form access was like "hey, we are going to make this control the right way anyway". Since the field functionality was created at the form level already by access, when I change the table lookup field to text it continues to work. Interesting.

In the future is it better to just design the field in the form and leave new tables as a text box or use this method?

I swear I read alot of stuff online!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.