Abacus1234 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 8 Access 2013 32bit

Reasons why an Access table ends up with the first record id being 0

I am developing a new interface for my database, so I am combining the data in different ways, and get table with an id of 0 at the top. Once I remove the records with the 0 id, I can usually continue on and enter data and get the result that I want. Does anyone have any thoughts on what is causing this. Thanks.

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit
    Since Access tables do not have record numbers, to what ID are you referring? Autonumbers start with one I believe.

I'm using a query to pull together data which I am in the process of entering and displaying all at the same time. In the OnCurrent when I open a form, I set the id fields to match the new record that I am creating. When this works, I get several tables updated all with the same ID number. When it does not work, the first row in the table may have 0 as an id. after that a lot of things do not work until I remove that row with the 0 id. Hope that helps to explain the problem.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    I'm with Allan (RG)?? No idea what you are trying to do??
    Can you tell us in simple, plain English what you are trying to accomplish?

I will try. I have a 20 year old application which provides government mandated forms associated with conveyancing. The application requires a huge amount of data entry and produces many mail-merged documents. Because the data entry is arduous and the process more complicated than it used to be, I am trying to provide different paths for data entry that make the process feel simpler. So if only two documents are needed, I am having users do the data entry for just those two documents in forms that look like the documents. Of course, the data must still be entered in a broken down form, such as first name and last name, but then it is immediately returned to the user as it looks in the end product. So data is being entered, processed and presented almost at the same time.
    I have solved the 0 appearing as the first row in the table. In an onCurrent property I was using a macro to open the form, instead of an oncurrent macro which would insert my record id across a number of tables that is how I link the data around a particular conveyance. I am still getting messages that the data has been changed. Another user edited the record and saved the changes before you attempted to save your changes. RE-edit the record Error 2950. So I'm a little out of my depth and feeling my way through this process. But the data is saved the way I want it to, and the output of document etc. can be produced. I have to suppress or work around the 2950 error. I hope this helps clarify. Thanks for your interest.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL

Thanks for the reference. I do have the database as a trusted source. I am still getting messages that the data has been changed. Another user edited the record and saved the changes before you attempted to save your changes. RE-edit the record Error 2950.
    I have found 3 suggestions for this problem. 2 of which together may have worked for me. In the On Enter Event of the subform container in the main form, Put Me.Subformfieldname.Form.Requery. And in the AfterUpdate Event of the subform put
    Me.Parent.requery. In the event that common data is being updated in the subform and the parent form, the requerying updates everything. This sounds logical, but I won't be celebrating until I have done a lot more testing.

There was another solution that was based on a bit field without a value.

Thanks for all inputs and help.
    Last edited by Abacus1234; 09-22-2016 at 02:40 PM.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.