gem1204 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 Access 2007

Show thumbnail for video on MS Access form

I have 2010 Access database that has a table that stores a list of videos for my company. I have a form that shows a description of the file and a button they can click to open the video in windows media player. I have the code to open the video and it works fine.

Now I’ve been asked to show a thumbnail picture of the video… like you see when you look at the file in file manager. I have the full filename and path stored in the an access table.

Does anyone know how to do this. ?
    Thanks

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit

Windows 7 Access 2007
    I’m sorry but I’m not cross posting! I had no idea that all these forums are interconnected or inner linked. All three of the forums have completely different url’s with one that appears to be in the UK. I have used the same user name in all of them but I assume I could have used different names in all of them. I’ve used all these forums referenced in the past and have gotten some good answers. I use a number of forums not just for MS Access but VB.NET as well as SQL Server. Some sites give good answers and some don’t and some don’t ever answers so that’s why I sometimes post the same questions in several forums. If one forum doesn’t answer or doesn’t give an answer that works I have several other possible options.

You guys are apparently all professionals and I’m sure you seek answers from several sources when seeking a solution trying to find the best answers. I kind of got the idea from some of your responses inferring that I would actually have the audacity to ask a question somewhere else or that I was somehow spamming my question and wasting people’s time. I don’t remember any specific incidents, but I know for a fact that I have done this same thing in the past probably using these same three sites and sometimes I gotten some good answers on one site but not another.

How is one supposed to know if the sites are related if in fact they are? If someone would explain how this works I and probably the other users would appreciate it.

I am not spamming nor am I cross-posting intentionally.

How is one supposed to know if the sites are related if in fact they are?
    The sites are not related, but responders are often members of different sites

all professionals.....wasting people’s time
    Think that kind of sums it up. The brief 'cross posting' post is as much to let others know the question has been asked elsewhere and may already have been answered. It is not a direct criticism of you.

perhaps this link will explain it better

http://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    The image that is displayed when you are using Windows Explorer may or may not have been determined by the author of the media file. In other words, Windows may decide which "frame" within the file to use as the Poster Frame. If there is not Poster Frame information contained in the header of the media file, windows will choose a frame to use.

I am not sure how you would retrieve this information from the header. I understand that there are many format versions of the header information. I did a quick search to see if there was something available via Shell commands and FileSystemObject. I suspect your best option is to employ third party software and select your own frame from within the file. If you want to go after the author's pre-selected Poster Frame, you will have to decipher that information via the header, interpreting that specific file's header format.

found this link which may get you on your way

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3...ual-basic-2013

May need a later version of access than 2007. Looks like it grabs a frame but no idea how you would convert the grab to an image

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    Yeah, when I was searching I found the following. It seems like this is something the pros are using. Maybe best to use something like ffmpeg if you are trying to decipher the header info. I found one example of the header info being exported to text.
    https://www.ffmpeg.org/documentation.html

Windows 7 Access 2007
    Thanks for the responses. I checked the link and I’ll see if I can make it work. In the end I guess I got my question answered – there’s no easy way to accomplish this.

---------------------------
    As far as the cross posting and the link you referred me to http://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184 . I read the initial post and I can see the point of someone who spends a lot of time helping people with questions. I also read all of dissenting responses and agree with a lot of them too. To me cross-posting or spam is someone who poses the same question in multiple forums on the same site. As an example this question (the thumbnail question) could have been posted in either the Forms forum or possibly the Modules forum. If I had posted in both of these then to me that would be cross-posting or spam.

There are at least two sides to every argument. From my point of view are also several reasons why cross posting may be advantageous.
    The person who answered the question didn’t know what they were talking about and the answer was worthless.

• The person who answered the question didn’t know what they were talking about and the answer was worthless.
    • The responder didn’t completely understand the question so his answer was irrelevant.
    • There are more than one way to skin a cat. The questioner may get more than one answer and they are all correct and a choice can be made as to which answer is more suitable to the situation.
    • When a question is posted, most of the time I get a response within a day or so and sometimes within hours but sometimes no answer at all. Instead on posting a question in only one forum and waiting for hours or a or a day or so without getting an adequate response before posting somewhere else, value time is wasted

I hope you understand my point of view as I understand yours. I appreciate the time you people spend answering questions and know you spend a lot more time in the forums than I do so I will look at it from you point of view – You are the ones providing the help. From now on I will not initially post my question on multiple sites; I’ll post a question and if I don’t get an adequate response within a day or so I’ll try another forum.

I know those of you that answer questions don’t get a lot of thanks and most probably don’t mark a response as resolved so you have no idea whether the questioner even read your response or tried to use it. I always try to thank the responder for replying even if it didn’t help. If my question was resolved I’ll make sure to mark the thread resolved and I’m pretty sure that for the most part in the past I marked my threads resolved if they were resolved.

Thanks again for all of your help and I understand you dilemma and frustration will comply with the cross-threading comments. We all appreciate you time and help.

The only problem now is what forum is best.

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit
    If you let the Forum know you have cross posted, there is no issue. As for which Forum is best, you'll have to decide for yourself.

Windows 7 Access 2007
    Thanks, Will do

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.