Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    I wish I did!

My "quiz" was having a big project dumped on my lap and my bossing saying, "Here, do this!".
    Luckily, it was a long-term project, so I am time to work through it. I tried designing the database without understanding the Rules of Normalization, as was spinning my wheels for a few months. After learning that, I started over again, and it turned out much better!

For the SQL/VBA stuff, a lot of that I learned kind of "as I needed it", as there is so much there, and you probably only need a fraction of it to do what you need.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    There are some good comments on this thread and I don't want to dissuade the conversation but another angle to take on trying to maintain data integrity (even if you have validation rules at the table level) is to check the validity of data *before* you ever append it to your table. i.e. check for required fields, check for dates being appropriate, etc.

If we are talking about access tables you can also change the validation rules by doing something like:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...ffice.11).aspx

AishlinnAnne is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeM View Post
    I wish I did!

My "quiz" was having a big project dumped on my lap and my bossing saying, "Here, do this!".
    Luckily, it was a long-term project, so I am time to work through it. I tried designing the database without understanding the Rules of Normalization, as was spinning my wheels for a few months. After learning that, I started over again, and it turned out much better!

For the SQL/VBA stuff, a lot of that I learned kind of "as I needed it", as there is so much there, and you probably only need a fraction of it to do what you need.
    Yes, this is exactly what my "quiz" is right now, haha. Thank you again!

AishlinnAnne is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by rpeare View Post
    There are some good comments on this thread and I don't want to dissuade the conversation but another angle to take on trying to maintain data integrity (even if you have validation rules at the table level) is to check the validity of data *before* you ever append it to your table. i.e. check for required fields, check for dates being appropriate, etc.

If we are talking about access tables you can also change the validation rules by doing something like:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...ffice.11).aspx
    Thank you!! I will definitely keep that in mind. Right now I am kind of messing around with made up data and experimenting with different ways to manipulate the data. My boss knows that up until about the middle of last month, I had never even opened Access before. So I have plenty of time. He just wants to make sure I really understand it, so that once I start building a database we can actually use, I will know how to correct any issues or adjust anything that may need it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.