mcpearce is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

Active X can't create object over remote desktop connection?

Hi,

I've built a little database for managing photographs on a network, and my code is pretty reliant on the filesystemobject for manipulating files and folders. When the code is run locally on a PC it works fine, but when it is run over a remote desktop connection the line - createobject("scripting.filesystemobject") - throws Error Number 429 Active X Can't create object. I believe its a Microsoft Windows Server 2012 in case that helps to narrow the problem down.

Has anyone come across this issue before? Is it likely to be a permissions issue?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Mitch

ranman256 is online now VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    It could be the PC doesn't have the reference.
    on that PC , in the VBE menu, Tools, References,
    see if Microsoft Scripting Runtime is check marked.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mcpearce View Post
    ...I believe its a Microsoft Windows Server 2012...
    My vote is permission issue. The .RDP will default to another user profile and this profile likely does not have access to the folders. Maybe create a group and add the RDP user to that group. It has been to long for me to remember the nuances for this user type. Maybe IT can help.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    I think it's more likey to be something in the area Itsme suggested. This sounds to me like a permission issue, the way to check this would be to remote desktop to that machine with an administrator user name/pw and see if it still throws an error, if it still throws an error I think I'd need to know more about what exactly you're doing.

For instance are you
    1. Remote accessing a computer and all processes are running on the remote computer?
    2. Remote accessing a computer and pushing files from the local machine to the remote machine?
    3. Remote accessing a computer and pulling files from the remote machine to the local machine?

You may also have some success if you temporarily map the foreign drive using the net use command through a batch file (or something similar) particularly if all the activity takes place in the same directory tree.

When you say "not have access to the folders" are you referring to the folders containing the scrrun.dll? (c:\windows\system32\scrrun.dll).
    Having removed the reference to the FSO object I have now run into the same problem with the WIA object (WIAAut.dll) - does this do anything to confirm your suspicions?

Hi rpeare,

I'm trying to organise the IT people to log in and take a look with the Admin login.

The database (front end and back end) is currently saved in a network location to which the remote user has access. When the user runs the sub locally from their pc, it works. However, when logged in remotely via a VPN the "ActiveX can't create object" error occurs before we even get to manipulating files or folders - I was using the FSO object to get some extended file properties before moving or naming them.

I think that all the processing is done on the remote computer. The files and folders are all on the network where the database exists.

The home pc is an Apple Mac... in case this has any bearing on the issue.

Thanks ranman256. But I've used late binding and the remote pc does have the appropriate references available because it works when run locally. The pc being used to log in remotely is an apple, but my understanding (be it extremely limited) is that the remote computer does the processing when you're remotely logged in over a VPN.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    If you're logging in via remote desktop (windows>applications>remote desktop) then yes, all the processing should occur on the host computer. If the person logging in has very restrictive rights (read only to a few folders) I am not sure if it would prevent the use of filesystemobject commands, the real test will be when your IT staff tries to log in remotely and run it. If they log in with an administrator user/password and you run into the same error then there's something else going on. Can you post the code you are using and where it is bombing out?

Have you tried browsing to all the folders on the host computer when logged in as one of your users to see if they can touch the folders or not? if they can just try to run something simple like

dim fs
    set fs = createobject("Scripting.filesystemobject")
    set fs = nothing

to see if it runs. If you get an error on just creating the object it helps narrow it down. I'm not really sure what's going on if you couldn't tell, I use filesystemobject remotely all the time and haven't had an issue like this.

Thank again rpeare,

So I've got IT involved and think we're making some progress. It appears that it may not be the user's PC that is being logged into/doing the processing, rather an RDS server... the onsite IT person had the same issue logging in remotely and running the code as Admin. So we are thinking it may just be the case that we need to register/re-register the scrrun.dll and wiaaut.dll on the RDS server (if that is indeed possible). I suppose if its not, then the last remaining option is permissions. I'll post again to provide closure. Thanks everyone for being so willing to help!!! : )

P.S. It was bombing out on the lines

1. set fso = createobject("scripting.filesstemobject")

2. set oWIA = creatobject("WIA.Imagefile")

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    I'll be interested to see if re-registering the dll's works. Please update this thread when you find the solution it'll be a good reference.

Hi Guys. So, in summary the error with the createobject("scripting.filesystemobject") line disappeared, presumably after the IT guy re-registered the dlls.

The response from the IT guy relating to the error at the createobject("WIA.Imagefile") line reads as follows: "activex issue is because it requires a windows service called Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) which by default is not installed on server versions of windows so on the server you have to install a feature through server manager called Desktop Experiance then reboot the server then everything works all fine"

So. Everything works, and I hope this is helpful to others! : )

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.