csmith is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2010 64bit

Using reports to generate postcards

Hi all,

We send out postcards to students who enroll in our open enrollment lifelong learning classes and I want to save time; staff are copying and pasting into fields and printing and it's problematic and slow. Here is what I am trying to make (it's a mockup):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	postcard mockup.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	25744
    The idea is PAGE 1 has a welcome text like "Thank you for signing up for __________ " class. It's mostly static but needs a few dynamic data entry fields. I want both the top and bottom panes of this first page to be the same and the _________ field I would like to be filled in with data pulled from a table or query. PAGE 2 is mostly static, the logo and any images I ad I would like to be static but the "person's mailing address" will correlate to the info on PAGE 1 "Thank you for signing up for __________ " class." The goal is to be able to generate a report that prints as 2 pages, the first page being the front of the postcard, the second being the back, and the info correlates between the front and the back of the card.

If the report pulls 4 records it will make 2 final, front and back pages (4 pages single sided); if it pulls 6 is will make 3, if it pulls 7 it will make 4 (half a sheet will be unused). I'll print these and then cut them down the middle and have postcards with addresses and names and other info.

I have tried making my first page (PAGE 1) the header and making PAGE 2 my content but it gives me an error message when I go to print because it's taller than 8.5x11 inches. I think this is similar to printing labels in a way. It is a stretch but I think it can be done. Any suggestions or direction to related forums or related ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    I do not know that I understand the problem. If you need more real estate you can decrease the size of the margins.

csmith is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2010 64bit
    I figured out a solution. Sorry I didn't get my problem across clearly it appears. It wasn't a matter of page size, I wanted to make Access generate two sided postcards that, when printed duplex, give me a nice cover on one side and an address and name etc. on the back. How I solved this: Put the front of the card in the page header, set the page header to 5 inches tall ish and 8 inches ish wide and did my design there. Then I put the address in the detail section. This prints an 8.5x11 inch page, with a header (the front of the postcard) occupying the top half of the page and the address occupying the bottom half of the page. When sending to print I select duplex, and flip the second page. This gives me a two-sided postcard, two to a page. One cut down the middle gives me two 5.5x8.5 inch post cards with all the info and design built in. Took me a while to figure this one out.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.