C-Note is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

Report won't create or gets records messed up

OK. I have two databases that I'm currently having problems with. I am a youth pastor, and I have an annual database to keep track of our children's information that I redo every year (Programs 2014, Programs 2015, Programs 2016). To make things easier each year, I have a template that I can just Save as that year. This year I figured out how to automatically assign our children to certain programs based on their school grade and gender. In the table (General Info), I have created calculated cells that automatically check the checkbox if children fit certain criteria. I have also started using forms this year (don't know if that makes a difference). I have a report (Troop Information) that I use to register the children and have it grouped by troop.
    This year when I went to look at the report, it just told me "Type mismatch" and wouldn't open. I can only open it in Design View. I tried creating the report again with the wizard and received this message: "The Wizard is unable to preview your report, possibly because another user has a source table open in exclusive mode. Your report will be opened in design view." In my quest to find the source of this problem and attempt to correct it I decided to open up the template to see if I was having the same problem. I cut and paste 6 of the records from this year into the template and ran the report. Only 3 of the records showed up in the report, and it had the children checked off for troops they weren't in or eligible for.
    This report is only tied to a table. It is NOT tied to a query. I have not applied any filters. Everything on properties between "Programs 2016" and "Programs template" is the same.

ranman256 is online now VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    You should always use a query for a report. It's easy to customize.
    type mismatch means you are trying to use a string in a number field.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    It seems something caused your database to crash. I don't really have a better way to describe it.

I suspect there is only one file associated to your database (at least one file for any given year). What I would do is close the database. In other words, close Access so the file(s) is not open. Then, look for a locking file. When a file is open, there will be a temporary locking file created. You can determine if a file is a locking file by its file extension. For instance, a database file may have the file extension .accdb where a locking file associated with said DB file will have an extension of .laccdb.

Look in the folder where you DB file is located while the file is closed. Determine if there is a locking file associated with the DB file while the DB file is closed.

An alternative way to see if your issue is associated with an orphaned locking file is to copy the DB file and place it into a different and temporary folder. If the symptom persists while opening and interacting with the temporary copy, an orphaned locking file is not the cause of the symptom.

C-Note is offline Novice
    I tried moving it to a different folder, same result. The locking file automatically deletes when I close the database. I tried creating a query. I still have the same problem. Also I noticed that I get the "Type Mismatch" when I enter a certain one child's information. However, when I delete her record and run the report, I only get 3 records and they're still telling me they're in the wrong troops.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    you can also get this error when you try to perform a mathematical function on a text field not just a linking problem.

perhaps if you supply a copy of the database with the private information overwritten with fake names/information we can take a look

Windows 8 Access 2013
    Yeah, this is going to be difficult to trouble shoot. Maybe the template can be copied and uploaded. Did you work on your template while it was stored on a thumb drive or equivalent? Did you email the template to yourself and use a copy of it from the email?

C-Note is offline Novice
    Ok, I have narrowed down the problem a little more. It's whenever I have the groupings on it, I have the issue. If I turn the groupings off, it's fine. However, I really need the groupings. If I can't have the groupings then I'll have to create a separate report for each troop (which I really don't wanna do.)

Windows 8 Access 2013
    That kinda makes sense. However, I would not expect groupings in a Report would cause the data mismatch error. It seems you are trying to create a JOIN in one of your queries that are of two different data types.

Uploading the Report, tables, and queries may be helpful to us understanding what is going on. But, I feel confident your issue has to do with basic database principals. Before, I was concerned that you woke up one morning and your DB was broken. Maybe it is broken because of corruption ...

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.