Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 8 Access 2013

As mentioned, you need to understand where your data is. As you now understand, there are several MDB files that support your FE file. Apparently, the client uses mapped drives. Can you find the Folder names on the Domain's File Server(s). It seems there are only two root folders, one of them being Maintenance Training.

cloudforgiven is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2003
    yes I can and I have access to those drives, but how would this limit the amount of tables I have to re-create and re-link? because as I said only some forms are not working so I would need to know what tables and queries are connected to those forms? I mean since the DB is organized, for example the form derivatives, has a query derivative and a tbl_derivates in the same FRONT END file, so would it be SAFE to assume that the form is connected to that table an query? If so then this is my solution, since I don't know enough VBA an would rather not go into these forms and programme the buttons to link with queries an tables, after I've re-created the tables an re-linked them which is enough work as it is.

Windows 8 Access 2013
    You can put all of the tables into a single BE file. You have the table names there. Import from the list that the tool is providing you. Having said that, there seems to be some links to some other stuff too. Maybe there are some DLL files in those server directories. Maybe there are some Custom Classes in some of those DB's. When you start to pull on some of those other objects, there may be a larger rat's nest revealed.

Now I am starting to understand why the previous developer cannot remember.

Why do I have to worry about those other objects in the other DB's, when all i am doing is linking the tables to them? I think its pretty obvious I don't know HOW exactly the linking works? And sorry for being so stupid -_-
    You know I always thought if I imported the entire DB from 97 to 2003 that I wouldn't have to worry about the links, since in the link table manager for the NEW DB it would show all the tables that are linked(and indeed it does but certain forms still don't work). I guess it just creates a copy an doesn't actually link it right?

Windows 8 Access 2013
    Well, the reason is that you will want to (eventually) update the file format of your backend files. I suppose if the end goal is to use Access 2007 and open the FE files, you should be good to go. However IIRC, Access 2010 will not connect to MDB of 2000 or earlier flavor. In addition, I do not believe 2016 will connect directly to MDB.

So yeah, I was running with the assumption you had intentions of getting all your files up to snuff.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    However IIRC, Access 2010 will not connect to MDB of 2000 or earlier flavor.
    Just tested this.
    Access 2010 WILL open MDBs and link to MDBs. (I still have A2K installed on a different computer)

(maybe it is 2016 that won't open MDBs)

Windows 8 Access 2013
    Yeah, I remember there was a big deal (lotta hype) around 2010. The way I ended up understanding it is that it would open the MDB if it is 2002-2003 and not earlier. I think it was the prevalence of named Macros and the automatic conversion Wizard thing that caused misinformation.

named Macros and data macros .......

Windows 8 Access 2013
    I guess the MDB you opened was 2000 version? Interesting.

Yep. I was forced to move to A2010 from A2000. (.... Hate the ribbon!! Still haven't been able to create a custom menu like I could in A2K)

So just to summarizes and confirm with you guys if I am going in the right direction. I will import the tables from access 97 that are NOT linked, into access 2003. Then since I know what tables ARE linked thanks to the viewer, I will first re-create these tables in access 2003 and re-link them to the same MDB that the old tables in 97 were linked to. Finally I will import the queries, forms, etc... into the DB and use the database utilities of access 2003 to create a new DB with the 2003 format(and obviously take it into access 2007). Sounds good?

Not sure how many and what files you have, but in general I would:

FE:
    Create a new A2003 mdb and import all objects from the A97 FE.
    Then create a new A2007 accdb and import all objects from the A2003 FE.

BE:
    Do this for each A97 BE.
    Create a new A2003 mdb and import all tablesfrom the A97 BE.

Do this for each A2003 BE.
    Then create a new A2007 accdb and import all tables from the A2003 BE.

Now everything is in A2007 format. You get to have fun and re-link BE tables to the FE. Then comes fixing bugs/things that don't work correctly.

I would bro, but the problem is the back end. I made a thread about that here:
    https://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=61751

Basically a summary of the issue, the front end converts fine, but the BACK END, first off thanks to your viewer I am not sure which MDB the END is anymore, but before I used your viewer I decided to try one MDB that I think it was(since so many tables connect to it) and its giving me import permissions issues, meaning I don't have admin rights on the file to import everything after the queries, even though I do(got all permissions read/write/full). God damn Microsoft.......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.