Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    n.h is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Hi

Thank you so much for all of your help. I did what you said and focused on Pupils, Guardians & contact details. I've attached a screen grab of what I've got so far for relationships... am I right to say that all the links should be one to many and enforce referential integrity? relationships so far.zip
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WMS Database Relationships so far.JPG  

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    I am sure you will want to make some tweaks here and there. But, you seem to have the general idea. The best way to test it is to create some queries and see if the datasets the queries retrieve are going to work. I usually start with the business operations process. I ask myself what the first step is.

Maybe you get a phone call by a guardian asking to enroll a pupil. So, run through that scenario, creating queries and avoiding forms. Then ask yourself how this process may vary. Maybe a potential pupil walks in and asks for an instrument. So, get the business rules defined. When a business rule is discovered that goes beyond your current scope (beyond your table structure), pencil it in for consideration at a later date.

So yeah, if a single guardian can have multiple addresses (like work, home, mailing) you will want a separate table for Addresses. But this is not necessarily a junction table. Maybe have an additional table between Guardians and Addresses to bridge the two entities when there is a many to many relationship (an address can be associated with many guardians AND a guardian can be associated with many addresses). If you can avoid a junction table, do so.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.