didiomm is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

Question Make Record Read-Only After Update

Hi All:

Like the title, is there a way to make record read-only after update? I have a data entry database that the user can only
    enter data once (after they perform necessary research). Once the data is entered, and they click the "next record" button, I would
    like all textboxes and comboboxes read-only. This way they can't go back and modify what has been entered.

I have added (by request) a timing element (time/datestamp) to the table that is being updated by way of the data entry form (in particular the mainform has the data to be researched/reviewed, the user makes updates in the subform). Because of this request, I am trying to keep the tables "clean" without bulking up with multiple timestamps for the same records.

I am using this:

HTML Code:
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Store-the-date-and-time-when-a-record-is-modified-EFB28268-C3D7-47A8-89ED-CDFB86B722B2

Then, I tried this:

HTML Code:
    [http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-access/making-records-read-only/7db3c440-d25a-4f9f-a90b-e6e352962e3b
    but got "Invalid Outside Procedure" error.

I am working (fighting) with Access 2007.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

didiomm

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    I am not sure what you have tried when considering the links you provided. Maybe changing the properties of the form so they cannot add a new record. Maybe using an unbound form with unbound controls.

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    Note, if you change the Properties on your Form, to set the Data Entry property on the Data tab to "Yes", it will only allow you to enter new records through this form. It will not allow you to view or edit any existing records.
    Might this give you what you want?

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    Quote Originally Posted by didiomm View Post

...Once the data is entered, and they click the "next record" button, I would
    like all textboxes and comboboxes read-only. This way they can't go back and modify what has been entered
    I have no idea what all of the stuff about timestamps has to do with the original question...but if the above is your true need, then you're overthinking all of this!

If the Form's Allow Edits Property is set to No and its Allow Additions Property is set to Yes...New Records can be added but Existing Records cannot be edited!

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

didiomm is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    Thank you, all!

Linq, your answer worked very well. I provided the timestamp info incase it was something problematic in getting both functions to work. As for the overthinking... I was given very, very tight deadline to create a database from scratch while the specs were being changed daily...sigh...so yes, I am in panic mode which led to overthinking mode.

@JoeM: thanks,will keep that tidbit of info in my arsenal, may be very useful in the future!

@ItsMe: thanks, was a little far down the design path to try a new form, but given more time (and better specs) I would definitely try a "clean slate"

Thank you all again, on to my next DB crisis...

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    [QUOTE=didiomm;330371]

...I was given very, very tight deadline to create a database from scratch while the specs were being changed daily...so yes, I am in panic mode/QUOTE]

'Scope creep' has a way of doing that...and the ones causing it are almost always the ones demanding the tight deadline!

Good luck with your project!

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.