Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Gina Maylone is offline Always learning
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

Too many functions running at once?

Good morning everyone,

I have a client who will often click 3 or 4 buttons in a row that either email a report and/or print a report. It typically freezes Access, and they will need to use the task manager to shut down then re-start. It NEARLY ALWAYS renders CTRL-F useless (this happens often anyway). They use Windows 10, Access 2016 (subscription), split database, backend on local server. Kapersky AV.

A little more info, the db is pretty old, mostly macro driven (very little vba). There are up to 3 users at a time. Whenever I make changes on my side, it works perfectly, as soon as I upload it to the client, it doesn't work, you can't search for a record or move between records, buttons don't work. So most of the time I remote into his computer and make the requested changes directly - which usually works fine. This is baffling!

Anyone have any thoughts or advice? I've been researching these glitches for months. Don't know if I'm not googling the right words or not.

Thanks in advance. Have a beautiful day!

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    Clicking buttons won't freeze it. Access can only process 1 button at a time.
    Tho I have found Access2016 to run EXTREMELY slow. It's horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by ranman256 View Post
    Clicking buttons won't freeze it. Access can only process 1 button at a time.
    Tho I have found Access2016 to run EXTREMELY slow. It's horrible.
    Hmmm....I haven't found that myself. But thanks for the feedback!

Bulzie is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Those issues are hard to figure out. Most database work fine but you will get 1 that for some reason does those things and compact/repair and other options do not seem to work. It could be the PCs themselves, does he have a slower PC? Do the reports take a long time to compile the data and run? Does this happen on all the other folks PCs or just the main guy? Are they in it at the same time and if so, does it happen then more or still happens if he is in it solo? You said they use Win 10, Access 2016, is that what you use as well? Does it happen when he tries a specific report or process or is it random?

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Not sure I'm following the details.

Whenever I make changes on my side
    What is your side??

Normally multiuser access would have frontend and backend. Backend on a server.
    A copy of front end on each user's PC.
    Many will have the "official version of frontend" in a known location. When a users logs on a check is made between his "version" and the official version. If they are the same, carry on. If they are different, download a copy of official version of front end to user's PC and continue.
    All users have same front end version.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    Perhaps queries are running. The first thing you can do in a multiuser situation is make sure each user is persisting a connection to the Access backend. This will keep a locking file open for each user. I will typically persist a connection with a main form that has the main menu. On that form that remains open all of the time, I will display the user's information contained in the Users table located on the backend.

After that, make sure your queries are awesome performers. Make sure they rely on indexed columns for their criteria and they are not retrieving more data than necessary. Make sure statements use GROUP BY and HAVING statements only when absolutely necessary.

Another thing is to limit the number of applications and browser windows open while using Access. Test Access with the minimum number of applications running in the background as possible. Then move to upgrading the video processor as needed. Additional RAM won't hurt, either.

Quote Originally Posted by orange View Post
    Not sure I'm following the details.

What is your side??

Normally multiuser access would have frontend and backend. Backend on a server.
    A copy of front end on each user's PC.
    Many will have the "official version of frontend" in a known location. When a users logs on a check is made between his "version" and the official version. If they are the same, carry on. If they are different, download a copy of official version of front end to user's PC and continue.
    All users have same front end version.
    My side = on my computer. All users have the same front end. Linked to the backend on the server.

Bulzie is offline VIP
    "All users have the same front end." So they have a copy of the FE on their PCs or all click on same FE on Server?

Does it happen to all of them or if 1 is in it it works fine, when 2nd tries it it freezes, etc.? Also what process does it freeze on, does it do the first report but then freezes on 2nd process, etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by Bulzie View Post
    "All users have the same front end." So they have a copy of the FE on their PCs or all click on same FE on Server?

Does it happen to all of them or if 1 is in it it works fine, when 2nd tries it it freezes, etc.? Also what process does it freeze on, does it do the first report but then freezes on 2nd process, etc.?
    They each have a copy of the front end on their computer. It will send the first email, print the second report, send the second email then freeze. Or a similar chain of events.

Bulzie is offline VIP
    If you manually run each process, does it still freeze after the second email? What process is running when it freezes or are you saying it can freeze at any time. Sorry for the questions but you need to try to pinpoint which process might be causing the issue. If it is truly random and can happen any time in the process, then you might need to look at PC or Server/Network resource issues, locking issues, etc. Did you say it works fine whenever you run the whole process from your PC?

Yes it runs fine on my PC (no server involved, but split db). It can freeze at any time, CTRL-F and CTRL-Z have been a problem since the beginning. Intermitent freezing. But when they try and run the emails and printed reports all in a row, it definitely will freeze. I CAN make it happen on my machine if I really push it.

Thank you for all the questions, I know they are necessary to diagnose problems. And they help me think things through better. :-)

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Gina Maylone View Post
    Yes it runs fine on my PC (no server involved, but split db).
    Are you considering a persistent connection to the BE for multiuser situations?

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit
    Are any of the connections in the system wireless?

Bulzie is offline VIP
    So each user including yourself has a FE on their PC and the BE is on a Network drive?

Can list out each step, what it runs and typically how long it takes to run complete? Sounds like it could be a memory resource issue. How big of a data pull does the report take(how long does it typically take to run)?

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit
    I'm sorry, I didn't mean to butt in, just wanted to throw out some ideas.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.