rebfein is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Is it possible to create 1 form that delivers data to two tables?

I've got three tables that deal with our part numbers as the primary ID. One table is a 1:1 relationship with a list of manufacturers. This table also has a relationship with a components table that shows component type and sub-type, again based on our P/N. There is also a third table, in where I list a 1 to many relationship showing the part number and all the manufacturer's and their part numbers.

What I would like to do is take the form I created for adding a new component to the first table and expand the form I currently have, so that some added fields could enter the data into the second table. Is it I possible and if so, how would I go about doing this?

I will also say, I DO NOT program well, so if I need to add verbage to a macro, that would be step-by-step process for me.

Thank you,

Rebecca

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    I am not understanding your description of your tables perfectly. Considering my past experience with parts, manufacturers, and part numbers, you will want to attempt to edit a single table at a time from within your form.

To facilitate this, you can employ Combo Box Controls. A combobox can programmatically display relative records in a subform. As an example you could select company B from a combobox and then all of company B's components would display in a subform below. You could allow a user to add or edit a record within the subform.

Since the list of Companies may also need to be edited, you can make allowances for this. The main idea is to bind a single form to a single table.

So, the short answer to your question is, yes. It is possible to do just about anything. However, just because it is possible does not mean you should. Your application should manage constraints on your data. So, make your forms do specific things.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.