EddieN1 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2007

ColorMode Printing from Navigation Pane vs DoCmd.OpenReport

I am trying to force a report to print in Black & White even if the default printer it is sent to is a Color Printer. In the Open event of the Report, I have the following VBA code: Me.Printer.ColorMode = acPRCMMonochrome. When I print from the Navigation Pane (right-click on the report and select "Print..."), the report prints in Black & White like I want it to. However, when I use DoCmd.OpenReport RptName, acViewNormal... from a Form, it prints in Color, which is not what I want. In both cases, the default printer is a Color printer and this same printer is used in both cases.

Note: I'm aware that we could define the printer as a Black & White only printer, however, there are reasons this is unacceptable.

Thanks for any ideas.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    I may not be following what you have tried already and what exactly you need. However, I believe that Report objects can only have printers assigned to them during Design Mode. Also, I believe other settings need to be done to the Printer itself via the printer's drivers.

EddieN1 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2007
    ItsMe, thanks for your help. I had tried changing the reports by opening the reports in design mode in VBA, resetting the ColorMode to MonoChrome, and Saving the report. However, the change won't "stick" unless something else is also changed. When I added logic to save the report caption, clear the caption, and reset it back to what it was originally, the Save worked and the ColorMode setting is now changed to MonoChrome.

However, I fully expect the next thing I will be asked to do is allow some of the reports to print in Color. So, I changed the Open Event to modify the ColorMode to Color and my results are still not quite right. Now, if I print from the Navigation Pane, it prints in Color. However, if I use DoCmd.OpenReport in a Form, it always prints in Black and White. Why would it work from the Navigation Pane but not in OpenReport?

Thanks again...

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    DoCmd is a funny animal. The issue may be with the DoCmd object. However, I am still concerned about the attempt to adjust Advanced Printer settings and depend on this adjustment across multiple workstations/machines.

Are you using predefined ports and a centralized print server that manages the Printer Drivers?
    Are you testing using different machines/PC's?

Having said that, I have experienced fantastic phenomena while using DoCmd and having the NavigationPane closed/not visible. In other words, using docmd to go after an object in the Navigation Pane produced unexpected results. I believe it had something to do with trying to actually focus or use the Navigation pane. Perhaps your issue with using docmd has to do with the View argument you are providing (acViewNormal). I do not see the Me.Printer member working while in Preview and not in Design. In other words, that line of code will not work and the Report should revert back to System Default Printer.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.