JEEVAN34 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit

How to combine the new MYSQL code with the existing Access sql code.

Hello friends, before saying anything I want you to know that my access and SQl knowledge is very poor..

I have an access query with following sql code..

SELECT ([PCs].[Title]) AS PC, IIf(Left([Technologies.Title],4)="comp","compounding","Fill/Pack") AS Tech, [Departments.Title] AS Department, [Lines.Title] AS [Line_Comp_Fill-Pack], Lines.Supplier, Lines.[Maximum line speed (pcs/min)], Lines.[Size (liter)], Lines.[Product containment], Lines.[Formats in place], Machines.Title AS Machines, Machines.[Speed (pcs/min)], Machines.Supplier, Machines.[Machine model], Machines.[Serial number], Machines.[Year of construction], Machines.[Power supply (V), (Hz)]
    FROM (((PCs INNER JOIN Technologies ON PCs.ID = Technologies.PC) INNER JOIN Departments ON Technologies.ID = Departments.Technology) INNER JOIN Lines ON Departments.ID = Lines.parentDepartment) INNER JOIN Machines ON Lines.ID = Machines.Line
    WHERE (((([PCs].[Title])) Not Like "zz*" And (([PCs].[Title])) Not Like "*Example*" And (([PCs].[Title])) Is Not Null) AND (([Departments.Title])<>"xxxx_Old"))
    ORDER BY ([PCs].[Title]), IIf(Left([Technologies.Title],4)="comp","compounding","Fill/Pack"), [Departments.Title], [Lines.Title];

Now, i want to add a new column(Line) to this query with following MYSQL code...

SELECT t1.*, case when t1. Line_Comp_Fill-Pack = t2. Line_Comp_Fill-Pack then 'M' else 'L' END as Line
    FROM (select rank = row_number() over (order by field asc), * from access-table) as t1,
    (select rank = row_number() over (order by field asc), * from access-table) as t2
    WHERE( t1.rank+1 = t2.rank )

But i couldn't figure ou..how to bind both these codes..Please help me out!

Thanks in advance...

orange is offline Moderator
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    If the query is run in Access, the CASE construct is not supported in Access SQL. Similarly, the Rank...over is not supported in Access SQL.

is there any other way to get that column in access query?

orange is offline Moderator
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    I'm sure there is. But what are t1 and t2 relative to the tables in the first query?
    Do you have relationships set up in your database?
    Tell us WHAT your database is about and what the additional field is for.

Above is the screenshot of excel sheet which I exported from Access, created using the above sql code in query. Now, I am trying to add another column in access query, which displays “L” for each different first line name in “Line_Fill-Pack” column and remaining as “M”. See the below screenshot, to understand what I am trying to do...

I did it in Excel using the formula “=IF(COUNTIF($E$3:E3,E3)=1,"L","M")”. But, I want to generate this column directly through access query.

anyone..any suggestions????

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.