Link is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit

Object dependencies - updating fields used in queries

Hi,

I need to change a description of a field in a table which is used in many many queries! If I use Object Dependencies>Objects that depend on me, on the table in question, will this find all instances that I need to update aswell?

Is there an easier way I can make the change in one place and have all dependencies updated at the same time?

Many thanks

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    Make a copy and give it a try.

I have noticed that 2013 does stuff like you describe. Where previously it was required to have constraints defined in the Relationship Window, newer versions of Access are more forgiving.

Like you are doing, use the Dependencies tool. I like to use Notepad or Ecell to help me keep track. Then, I will do searches in VBA to make sure there are not any references in there. Another place where there could be an issue is in the control source and row source properties of controls.

Link is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit
    Hi,

I have tried to make some changes but when I open a query to check it prompts me to "Enter Parameter value" for the old field before that change and then another prompt for the new updated description. Why does it do this please? Many thanks

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    Using that same copy. Open the query object that is at the lowest level of dependency (the query object that all of the others depend on) and update the field name there. It should have changed to Expr1: or something similar. It will also move down the line of columns, to the left.

After you practice with your copy. Do it again. This time, reference your list of query objects you saved to Notepad and go straight to design view of those objects (without opening them and causing them to display in datasheet view, for example).

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.