Sargedessy is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2010 64bit

Transform and resend email

Hi guys,

I currently have an excel worksheet that is set up with formulas so that it can quickly transform an input into a prescribed format and send it out via outlook email. However, the spreadsheet has grown considerably and this has made excel run a lot more slowly.

The transformation into a prescribed table format is done via excel formulas in excel currently. However, I realized it's not practical to replicate the same setup on excel in access as there are no such formulas.

May I know if there is a possibility of being able to quickly transform my inputs into a dataset and send them out via email to a bunch of people while logging the inputs in a main database?

I am very new to access and I am trying to figure out along the way. Thanks.
    Last edited by Sargedessy; 08-18-2016 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Mistake

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    The word 'quickly' is not likely to be applied to the statement, "Transform Excel to Access". Having said that, Access is a really nice tool to use for sending Emails.

There are some calculations that are easier to do via Excel. So, how difficult it is to make Access do what you need depends on these formulas you have.

I would say work on converting any calculations you have to Access. Then worry about emailing the results.

Sargedessy is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2010 64bit
    Currently my spreadsheet works like this:

Sheet one: table with header where I input data

Sheet 3-5: table with header and formula to transform the data, from which the email will be generated (my vba code transforms these tables into a html string and sends these out)

Sheet 6: log of my input, with same table as sheet 1. vba code copies this in and clear sheet one whenever I send out the email

My question, is sheet 3-5 required to be implemented as "database tables" in access?

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Sargedessy View Post
    My question, is sheet 3-5 required to be implemented as "database tables" in access?
    The answer is likely to be both yes and no. In order for the answer to be entirely no, sheets 3-5 would have to be used as a template (boilerplate) and for nothing else. In other words, transform sheet 1 into a form that is bound to one ore more tables. Transform sheets 3-5 into a Report. Use code in your form, the one that used to be sheet 1, to export the report into a PDF and email the PDF.

As an alternative to a PDF, you can use VBA behind your form to insert HTML into the body of an email.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.