AishlinnAnne is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2016

What is the best way to design this database for my needs?

I am brand new to Access. I work at a company that provides quotes for our customers. My new boss is absolutely dead-set on me creating a BRAND NEW database in Access to start tracking our quote requests. Currently, we have been using our work program to store quote data & a spreadsheet in excel to track the status.

What my boss is envisioning is that we create a form that each Account Manager from each Branch will use. He would like all the data required for us to complete the quote requested to be completed on the form and then automatically updated to our table data. (I am so sorry if I am making this sound more confusing than it is, I JUST started using Access less than 2 weeks ago, all I know is what I have watched in the 16+ hours of videos he provided me).

Here is a general idea of how our process works.
    Our Account Managers at each branch will receive a quote request from a buyer at one of their customer's.
    The Account Manager will complete a form that provides the following information:

Job Name, City, Location, Branch # (8), Account Manager Name (28), Customer Name (11), Buyer Name (15)
    The form will also have the Account Manager show which products they are requesting for their quote:
    Floors, Roofs, Walls, EWP, Z4, Hardware
    The following three dates must be included on the form as well:
    Date Received, Plans-in Date, Due Date

Once the quote is being worked on it must be assigned an Estimator (3) and be given a dollar amount for the quote.

I am not asking anyone to create this for me, I do not mind learning on my own how to get it done.
    HOWEVER, I am having a hard time trying to map together the best way to relate all this data.
    In addition, I am still not even sure how to get what I enter on my form to then transfer onto my tables.

Could someone please help?

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    This will be similar to a Shopping cart or OrderForm. tQuotes is the master table, tQuoteDetail is the child table to add items to the quote.
    To 'copy' a quote, (instead of starting from scratch), copy the master record, get the new ID, copy all child records to the new ID.

tEmployees
    --------------
    EmpID, Name,Address, ....BranchID

tClients
    --------
    ClientID, Name, Address, City,.....

tBranches
    ----
    BranchID, Address, City

tQuotes
    ------------
    QuoteID, ClientID, EmpID, Date,Notes....

tQuoteDetail
    --------------
    QuoteID,Product, Qty, Cost...

AishlinnAnne is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2016
    I am so sorry, but I am very confused by this. I have been trying to look through other forum posts, but the language is all just beyond me at this point. I am not familiar enough with Access I guess. Thank you for the help though.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.