banpreet is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 8 Access 2010 64bit

Approval Queue

Hey guys,

Hopefully I can do this I am not sure but my boss wants to add this as functionality to the database. I have a Request form that is filled out by a customer and has to be approved by two levels of people, "Level 1 Approver" and "Level 2 Approver". I would like to create a two buttons on the Request form that will first send an email to the approver to check the form. Since of security, I want to approvers to access the main menu of the data bases and click on a button that says "Approval Queue" and then the approver will open up a form that will ask them if they are level 2 or level 1 approver. Level 2 approver checks the form first, so he clicks on level 2, then somehow there will be information of all the forms that he has to approve, and then level 2 approver after opening up the Request forms and approving it, he click on the level 1 approver, and level 1 approver will go into the database and go to approval queue and click lvl 1 approver and open up the form. How do I get the button on the Request form to put information in the level 2 queue so the approver 2 knows what form to open as soon as he enters the database.

Hopefully it makes sense, Any help is appreciated!

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit
    Please do not take offense but it sounds to me like you are trying to implement a paper system with this computer system. I suspect it can be much easier if you let the computer to what it does best. Is this system MultiUser? If so, is it a split database and does each user have their own FrontEnd?

it is muti user, people will be putting in requests through the form, and the requests need to be then approved by two levels of managers, my boss wants this but if it is not possible I will let him know

Bulzie is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    I would add a field to the requests called Approved, default to 2 when a new request is entered.

When Approver2 logs in, it shows all requests with a 2 in that field. When Approver2 is done with a specific request, he changes that value to 1 and requery the form so that record is removed from his list(remember he only sees records with a 2).

When Approver1 logs in, he sees all requests with a 1. When Approver1 is done with the request, change the value to 0 so it is removed from Approver1 list. If you want to know what requests are complete, query for 0 in the Approved field.

Quote Originally Posted by banpreet View Post
    it is muti user, people will be putting in requests through the form, and the requests need to be then approved by two levels of managers, my boss wants this but if it is not possible I will let him know
    Is it a split system (FrontEnd/BackEnd)?

Yes, it will be a split system

I guess that means it is not currently split. You have major exposure to corruption if everyone is using the same db.
    Here's my favorite MultiUser link: http://www.accessmvp.com/TWickerath/.../multiuser.htm
    I think you'll find that once split, setting up the Approval Queue could be a snap.

is there any way to do this with a query, the user clicks a button on the form, and then it is put in the approval form? I will give you the table details if somebody can help me do this.

Yes, of course. With some additional details we can help you put this process together.

Thanks a lot man! appreciate it. I will post in a little bit as I will be busy in a little bit.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.