MatthewR is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

How much ongoing maintenance does an Access database need (if any)?

I work at a nonprofit that provides direct services to clients. Our division is a small program with few resources and a shoestring budget. Up until now, we've been tracking clients on an enormous excel spreadsheet. I came to the realization that this situation is screaming for an Access database.

So, I designed one, and I'm planning to transfer all the client data soon. But I plan to leave the agency in a few months- so I only have a short period of time to work out any kinks that could arise. And I'm worried about what will happen afterward if problems arise with the database, since our IT department is not willing or able to help with it.

Even after I leave, I wouldn't mind helping out here and there by phone or skype, or maybe even dropping by, to troubleshoot a problem. But when a problem arises, I won't neccessarily be available immediately, and my time will be limited.

Is this a dumb thing to do?

I feel that I've designed the database well. It has 8 tables, 28 queries, and 2 reports. And it has 6 bound forms, 3 subforms, a sub-subform, and 3 unbound forms. It uses a lot of VBA. Without any data in it, the DB is 4MB. I'll be transferring about 3,000 client records into it, and we'll add several thousand more over the life of the database.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is, how much annual maintenance will a database like this require? Can it be adequately maintained by skyping or dropping by the office a couple times a year? Or, if it's well-designed, can it function without maintenance altogether?

Please share your thoughts. Thanks very much.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    if the db (and previously excel) is a key part of your organisation's processes then have you asked them if they will support the Excel option (my guess is they won't).

If it is a key part then if IT won't support it, they need to provide the facility/functionality in something they will support and your organisation should be telling them that. It may be they do not have the technical skills (perhaps the limit of their responsibility is simply to fix broken equipment and manage the implementation of upgrades/new applications), in which case they should outsource support. It is a matter for IT and the budget holder.

As to how much support is required, depends on how well the new db has been put together - data normalised, code easy to read and understand, full user and technical documentation, etc) and how often 'something goes wrong'. Also depends on the users - are they reasonably access 'savvy', or blindly clicking buttons and not really understanding what is going on underneath the hood.

Have you covered the situation where a user leaves and or a new user is added - how easy is it to lock the leaver out or add the front end to the new users machine?

Overall, unless you can provide a clearly agreed 'level of service' it would be better to hand off to IT

Thanks for the reply. So, we're basically a special program within a larger organization. The larger organization has its own database, but that database really does not fit our program well at all- we need something more customized. When we started out here, we asked IT if we could just design our own Excel workbook, and take care of it ourselves. They said, as long as it doesn't involve them or require them to do extra work, it's fine. So, they don't support our Excel thing, and it does not seem like they'd be inclined to support the Access db either.

Unfortunately, the users are not savvy- they have no idea what's beneath the hood.

And it's hard to say how often 'something goes wrong.' Everything works fine when I test it out, but who knows what will happen when it's really put to use.

There will only be 2-3 total users. That could increase, but I don't see it ever exceeding 4 or 5. So, if I just create 5 front-ends, I should never have to add any more.

There is no login- you can just open it and use it. But it's stored in a secure network folder that is only accessible by authorized users.

Does all that make IT service less necessary, or is it still something that's very much needed?

I suppose I could ask the higher-ups about IT service, if necessary. Would probably be a pain, but perhaps I could convince them.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    IT will be, or should be, obsessed with security of data - it does not sound like your application has addressed these issues (no login, so anyone can get in
    So, if I just create 5 front-ends, I should never have to add any more.
    a front end is just a copy of the 'master' front end, making additional copies prior to your departure would be pointless.
    Everything works fine when I test it out, but who knows what will happen when it's really put to use.
    that is what really matters - it is called 'User Acceptance Testing' - UAT for short. It requires a plan to test every aspect of the application - does it do what is required, what happens if a 'wrong' value is entered. What happens if the computer loses power or there is a network interrupt etc.

Okay, I see. Yeah, I plan to do User Acceptance Testing over the next 2-3 months. I just wonder whether that will be enough.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.