baluka is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2007

help please

there is a problem where I work with staff removing permits from their cars and parking in the visitors car park which is not allowed. I want to use access to take daily records of car registrations, if the car registration has been taken more than once I want access to highlight this at tell me the dates the car was parked there.

is this possible and if so how would I do it.

I have never used access before.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

scott

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    I see 3 tables; tEmps, tCars, tRegister.

TCar could be keyed on TAG.
    Tag, Make, Model,Color

tRegister would hold the dates,a sub table of tCar:
    Tag, RegDate

in a continuous form that shows all cars, put a text box in the header. User will enter a car tag,the event will filter the list on that tag:

Code:
    sub txtFind_afterupdate()
    if IsNull(txtFind) then
        Me.filterOn= false
    else
        Me.filter= "[tag]='" & txtFind & "'"
        Me.filterOn = true
    end if 
    end sub
    select the record in the list. Add another button to edit the details and a subForm to add the dates.
    this button would open this form via the click event:

Code:
    sub button_click()
     docmd.openForm "frmEditTag",,,"[tag]='" & me.tag & "'"
    End sub

baluka is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2007
    Thanks for you quick reply ran man. I'll try this later tonight after work. I've never used access before so it sounds complicated but i'll give it a go.

baluka is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2007
    I have tried using access ut have no Idea what I am doing. I really just need car registrations and the date it is parked. You made it sound easy but I have no idea where to start.

Bulzie is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Another suggestion:
    Create these tables with fields:
    tblEmployee (EmpName, CarLicense) - contain all employees
    tblParking (CarLicense, ParkDateTime, LotParked) - record cars as they are parked incorrectly

Create a query, include both tables, link on CarLicense and add all fields to the query. You can sort on EmpID or whatever but this would show you who parked incorrectly and how many times.

If you want to just see who parked incorrectly more then once,
    Create a query, link the tables again my CarLicense select field EmpName twice. Click the Totals button and select Groupby under the first EmpName column and Count under the 2nd EmpName column. In the Criteria on the 2nd EmpName, put > 1 This should give you list of everyone that has more then 2 parking records.

You can create forms based on the queries if you want.

baluka is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2007
    Thanks Bulzie

I'll give it a go. Just finding it hard to get my head round how to use access. I am not very computer say.

Thanks again

Bulzie is offline VIP
    There are lots of wizards to help do most of this. Look at the top ribbon bar and menu bars and it will show you the options to create tables, queries, etc. Once you open a table in design view, you can add field names and their datatypes. You could just use text for all the datatypes except ParkDateTime, use datetime. Then Save the table and do the next one, etc. Same for Query, look for the button to create a query and it prompts you to add the tables so doucble click on both tables or drag them to the query. To link the 2 tables, you select the CarLicense field from the tblEmplyee table and drag a line to the CarLicense field in tblParkingl This creates the link between the 2 tables. Now double click or drag the fields form the tables into the columns in the query. In the ribbon bar it has buttons to run the query, etc. or bo back to design mode to make changes.

I saw some of the other guys post some linkis to tutorials for beginners that you probably should take a look at to get you started.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Just finding it hard to get my head round how to use access
    Watch #1,2 and 4 in the Database series starting here. This will give you some familiarity with relational database concepts. This is the basis for many database systems--including Access.

For hands on design practice work through one of these tutorials from RogersAccessLibrary.

Class Info
    Consolidated Widgets

For your own sanity and learning --do not be too quick to jump into Access. Understand the Business issue you are trying to support with automation.
    Learn some database concepts. Do some practice tutorials. Analyze the business processes involved....

Good luck.

Bulzie is offline VIP
    Awesome orange....

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.