arendvan is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2002

Arrow Split Database under access 2003

Hi:

I am ultimately going to upgrade our Master Database files from .mdb to Access 2016 .accdb) however at present our database is split (Programs in one location and Data in another) the fact that they both sit in the same area is irrelevant as if you move the data files the program files are looking for the data in a specific folder on a specific drive.

Firstly: Is there a way to "edit" the location information in the p[rogram files so that I can move the program files somewhere else and just update the location of the data files?

If not then I (under test) checked to see if the programs and data files would upgrade to .accdb file format which was fine hoever the when I fired the program files the database was looking for the data as .mdb files and not .accdb.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be helpful.

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    before doing anything, make sure you have a safe backup of the original files

for the backend you need to save the .mdb files as .accdb - safest way is to create a new .accdb then import the files

for the front end, it is quite a leap from .mdb to .accdb 2016 so expect some issues - main ones will be around deprecated functionality which is no longer available in 2016 - immediate one that comes to mind is pivots, but also menus have changed and code to use these will need to be rewritten. Again, safest way is to create a new .accdb, then copy objects in in the following order - tables (linked, see next paragraph), queries, modules, forms and finally reports.

Re editing the location information in the front end, assuming you have linked tables, you would need to delete the linked tables from the front end if you have already created them and create new linked tables using the linked table manager.

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    While making a backup copy is always wise; doing the conversion step is painless. Using 2016, open the .mdb file while holding the shift key, go to the File tab and invoke the conversion option you'll see there. This will make a duplicate file but with a .accdb file extension. Do for both front and back. Now you will have 2 new files. Your mdb files won't be affected at all.

As for moving files, that also is common and painless. Just look up the instructions for relinking tables. You can move them any where.

Whether or not the application will throw errors after the conversion will depend on the vintage of its custom written vba code. If only vanilla objects are being used: forms, reports, queries, tables - there may be no issue at all. I've been designing since the mdb era in 2003 and my clients have upgraded their technology without any rewrites. But if there is custom vba that is relying on obsolete libraries then these lines of code must be rewritten. Some libraries get rolled forward by MS but in the end some must be left behind at some time. You will know because it will throw an error. For a large old application this can be a lot of work. One must simply step thru all the errors and update their code lines.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.