NightWalker is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Proper table properties setup

These may be more complicated questions than I think but I thought I would ask.

Is it better to leave the table properties alone and use code to set the properties like "Allow Value List Edits or Show only Row Source Values" or set them in the actual table?

Is it best to use a SELECT qry for the cbo Row Source in the table Lookup properties [example: SELECT tbl_TestEquipment.TestEquipmentType FROM tbl_TestEquipment GROUP BY TestEquipmentType;] or is there a better way to do this. I think this one is the way to not use lookup fields. Please correct me if I am wrong. I am trying to understand commandment number 2 of the 10 access commandments.

Thank you for your time and knowledge,
    Walker

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    I try not to set these on the table. I use the from to validate data, and use combos for user picks.
    doing this on the form means, if a change happens, I don't have to kick users out, to fix the tables.

So I should leave everything blank and only choose the combo box option then use select qrys in the code for the forms that need the actual data?

Thought?!?! Do I even need to select combo box in the table? I am thinking.... no?

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Think of it this way: "In almost every other dB engine, a table just stores data". There are one or two dBs designed to have "Pick" fields and all of the other required code to support them..... Access is not one of them.

In an Access table, I never set up "Look up Fields" (combo box) IN the table. Unless the dB is for your use only and you are adding/editing the tables directly, I don't waste time setting them up.

But that also means I never display a form in datasheet view either. If I need a "datasheet view", I make a continuous form look like a datasheet. This means I also have much better control over the form/view (validation, formatting,etc).

If you are not going to use a table Look up FIELD, why bother to set it up???

I am trying to understand commandment number 2 of the 10 access commandments.
    I follow Rule #2 to the maximum extent.. ..... NO Look up FIELDS (look up tables - yes). Users never access a table directly.

! Do I even need to select combo box in the table? I am thinking.... no?
    IMHO, NO!

Thanks Steve, This was a pivotal moment in my mind grasping the whole concept of DB design. I was doing twice the work by setting up the tables and then the forms at the same time.

If I need a "datasheet view", I make a continuous form look like a datasheet. This means I also have much better control over the form/view (validation, formatting,etc).
    Do you have an example of this concept, that I may see, of one way vs. the other?

I am grateful to all of you here for your help in getting me past the wall I kept running into learning Access. I really appreciate everything that everyone offers. I know many of you create mini
    DB just to help people work through their challenges. There are a lot of great people here.

Thanks again to everyone

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Very, very simple example.......
    Attached Files Attached Files

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.