CobaltBlu is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Question Is it worth it to learn Access?

Hello,

(I apologize if this is in the wrong thread - but it seemed the best one!)

I have been learning Access per my boss's request over the past several months (using Lynda.com). I have zero background in programming/computer science, so progress has been difficult, but steady. I have been looking everywhere for classes (the technical colleges in this area only offer "intro" courses, which I no longer need) or a tutor, (the one Access tutor from the tech school is no longer around) -- everything else is video tutorials, and I would really like to ask a human being questions, rather than just a virtual recording of a person.

Anyway, let me get to the point: Is it "worth it" to learn Access? Is there a demand for the skill, and if so, is it only for very advanced programmers?

The reason I ask, is: I have seen many jobs requiring advanced Excel skills, but Access seems forgotten/unknown. My boss has some use for me learning Access for a small part of his company, but he is also helping me learn something that would eventually allow me to work from home. But "eventually" may come in only about a year, and I don't think I will be competent in Access/programming in that amount of time to make any money from it. I am going to learn VBA (again through Lynda) and possibly take an advanced online course I found through New Horizons computer learning center. But I have been going forward in a bit of an isolated bubble, (no one I know has even heard of Access...) and I could really use some advice.

Oh, and I do enjoy using Access - it's just so foreign to me!

(Again, please excuse me if this is not the appropriate thread for this kind of question.)

Thank you,
    -CB

EDIT: Right after posting, I realized I should have called this thread "Why learn Access" or "Can you get a job with Access" - I honestly admire anyone who can competently use the program, and I certainly don't mean any disrespect!

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    YES. It can run a company by giving user point and click solutions to their data.

orange is online now Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    What have you done regarding practical database while/since the Lynda courses?
    What is your career goal?

You mention Access courses, but did you do any specifically on Database design, normalization...?

Access(database) is built on a whole different model than spreadsheet Excel. Knowledge of one doesn't necessarily transfer directly to the other.

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    Programmers are like fish. They go to where the food supply is. Right now the feeding frenzy is mobile apps and web apps. So if one is starting from scratch and intent on learning a language - that's where the action is.

All Windows apps (of which classic, non web, Access is one) is somewhat of a dinosaur. But like the mainframe computer - who's death was predicted by the media upon the invention of the PC but never occurred - the Windows app may have still a long though low key life. It is very cost effective bottom line. It is not a growth field in absolute terms.

If web development is able to evolve out of being an expensive multi part system and become a simpler less expensive streamlined development environment it would kill off all Windows application development - on the other hand - if Windows development is able to integrate to the cloud reliably - the dynamics and trends may change.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by orange View Post
    What have you done regarding practical database while/since the Lynda courses?
    What is your career goal?

You mention Access courses, but did you do any specifically on Database design, normalization...?

Access(database) is built on a whole different model than spreadsheet Excel. Knowledge of one doesn't necessarily transfer directly to the other.
    Thank you for your feedback. I am currently constructing/maintaining a simple database for the company I work for. Very simple, only three tables, (customers, payments, dates) I'm really stuck at the point of making the Forms more user-friendly. (And I desperately need a smart person to look over it to make sure the skeleton of the database isn't corrupt...) I'll be asking questions about it at the forums here soon. (For example, I don't know what "normalization" means, but that doesn't mean I haven't been doing it...)

My boss is more than willing to pay to have me train in Access, but I just have this feeling that it won't be useful in 3 years (except maybe for his company and similar small businesses) my "career" goal, honestly, is to be able to supplement my husband's income while working from home. Computers seem to be the way to go, and my boss is very supportive. I have a background in art, so it would be great to work where art and programming overlap (Web Design? Web Developer?) but I'd rather not full-on go back to school at this point. And I am happy to learn Access, I enjoy it. I just... it's SUCH slow going, and I'm thinking it's not going to be something where I can really make any income.

Thank you again for your reply!

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by NTC View Post
    Programmers are like fish. They go to where the food supply is. Right now the feeding frenzy is mobile apps and web apps. So if one is starting from scratch and intent on learning a language - that's where the action is.

All Windows apps (of which classic, non web, Access is one) is somewhat of a dinosaur. But like the mainframe computer - who's death was predicted by the media upon the invention of the PC but never occurred - the Windows app may have still a long though low key life. It is very cost effective bottom line. It is not a growth field in absolute terms.

If web development is able to evolve out of being an expensive multi part system and become a simpler less expensive streamlined development environment it would kill off all Windows application development - on the other hand - if Windows development is able to integrate to the cloud reliably - the dynamics and trends may change.
    Thank you, those are interesting points, good things to consider.

I've spoken to some companies that charge $$$ to make/fix/etc. Access databases. Do you think companies like these are dying out? Would you say that only very high-level programmers can work for these Access consultants?

Thanks again for your feedback!

orange is online now Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    ...I have a background in art, so it would be great to work where art and programming overlap (Web Design? Web Developer?) but I'd rather not full-on go back to school at this point. And I am happy to learn Access, I enjoy it.......
    Perhaps interface design and web design are a preferred path --especially with an art background.
    Just a few comments for consideration.

- I am surprised you could do Lynda database related courses for ~ 3 months and have no idea of what Normalization is. Isn't Google or Bing one of the first things you go to when you don't understand any term (database related or not)?

I worked in the field for many years -and offer you these few observations:
    -some of the best database personnel had backgrounds as diverse as BA in Urban Planning to Lay Preacher, and computer user with ambition
    -I had a group of 12, 8 of which were left handed.
    -database and data management in general is quite disciplined. If you don't like working in a framework of some sort, then...
    -database maintenance /operations failures/crashes can be stressful. If you don't like working with pressure, then...
    -database management can be thankless. You could work all night to get something corrected/resolved while others were offline.
    -database can be quite rewarding. Is quite a pleasant feeling when a "concept for a system" gets realized in a smooth operational database. This typically involves solid analysis, design options, and focus on details of how people do things. Good system take considerable time and effort. There is no magic.

There was a time, say 20 years ago, when many thought programmers would no longer be needed. Software solutions will eliminate the need for programmers. Seems there are more programmers today than ever....

Anyway, there are many programming languages, many devices/platforms and it's changing all the time.

Watch #1,2 and 4 of this series on Database by Dr. Daniel Soper that starts here
    Google Dr. Jennifer Widom relational to get some excellent youtube videos. She's fast but she is good.

Good luck.
    Last edited by orange; 07-26-2016 at 02:11 PM. Reason: spelling

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.