Middlemarch is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2003

Access Issue - selecting row or column

This problem is in Access 2003, unsure about later versions. With a datasheet view Form
    trying to select just one column or row by clicking the fieldname or leftmost grey area becomes impossible. Always more than one row or column is highlighted.

I can fix it (until it happens again) by closing Access and re-opening but is there any other way ?

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    sounds like you have a corruption in the db - suggest compact and repair. It may also be that you have some code running which has not been closed properly or is poorly written and leaving access in an unstable state.

Windows XP Access 2003
    That's probably the case, especially as code can be in a testing state.
    Next time it happens I'll try C&R and see if that works and no need to reboot Access.
    Thanks.

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    if any unbound fields exist - they might cause similar behavior in a continuous form or datasheet view......

Windows XP Access 2003
    I have some unbound fields. Is it a bug in Access and just have to accept it ?

NTC is offline VIP
    It is not a bug. If there is an unbound text box in a continuous form row/record - it is not anchored to any specific record; therefore any action with it is going to span all records. It can be unsettling. In your table, add a field so that the control on the form can be bound.

Windows XP Access 2003
    It's not normal behaviour and is intermittent. Then you need some corrective action. Doesn't effect all records, instead a random number that can change with every click.
    It also happens to bound controls. VIP may be right about code running which has not been closed properly or is poorly written, as it's more prevalent during code development or testing.
    Once it occurs, you're stuck with it. It hasn't happen since to try a C&R. Be nice if that did work and no reboot needed.

NTC is offline VIP
    My post only was about unbound controls on a continuous form. If you have bound controls changing values the only legitimate way that I can think of is with VBA code in an OnCurrent or Dirty event - possibly another event, but in any case via VBA code. If you are certain there is no such code then corruption would be the only other candidate. Delete form, compact/repair, remake new form.

Windows XP Access 2003
    OK. Doesn't seem to be that common, but happens here quite often. I'll put it down to 'one of those things; and try 5 C+R or reboot. The latter always fixes it. I've not had to remake any Form. Cheers.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.