Gina Maylone is offline Always learning
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

Unhappy Just stopping by for some therapy and perhaps advice

Hi all!
    ~READERS DIGEST VERSION~Honest...
    I inherited a POS (can be translated either way) database a few weeks ago (client was in crisis mode of course). The backend was in 2.0, front end 97, sort of. Lots of ancient VB. Was able to bring it up into the 21st century with a bazillion bugs and errors. At first I made the mistake of trying to preserve the functionality by updating each line of code. Which really just added to the funkiness of the whole thing. The other day I got an error message that the vb code couldn't be read and Access wanted to delete it in order to open the db. I was tired of fighting with it, so I agreed. The db opened and waaalaaa! Not a single line of code remained. I thought it was a blessing in disguise because it seemed that all of the error messages had vanished. Starting over HAD to be easier than re-writing, right? So yesterday I had things working pretty awesomely and was ready to upload it to the client, when suddenly an error popped. Can't remember what it was, there's been so many. So I started tracking it down, made a few minor adjustments to a form, saved, returned to main menu, reopened the form and my changes had not been saved. So I repeated the steps, and again the changes were not saved. Then I couldn't even close the form. Closed out, started over with a fresh, clean database, turned off Name Auto Corrections -and imported all of my objects in - and had the same issues.

Logged into client's computer to make a couple of "quick" changes to a report, saved the report, it did NOT save, made the changes again, Saved AS a different name (newreportname0721) and the new report doesn't even exist. IF I create a brand new form or report it will save. When I copy (in order to paste) it won't, I get an Active X error. I can't even begin to count the number of times it has just frozen. The list goes on and on. My next move is to find a priest to do an exorcism.

I have checked my other databases and they seem to be working as expected.????

~PEACE~

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 10 Access 2013
    I feel your pain Gina. I'm pretty sure I have already given you a link to Allen Browne's site where he has some useful suggestions if you scroll down to the Upgrading section at the bottom of the page but here it is again: http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.