snowboarder234 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

Managing Attachments

When using the attachment field feature in the table, is there anyway to label the attachment field with text instead of the paperclip icon that Access uses? The text appears in design view, but I want it to appear in data view. I want two different text fields: one for mail and one for book acknowledgments. I can't combine them because the acknowledgments must be separate from the mail attachments.

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    This is not really an answer to your specific question: I do not recommend the attachment field type as it bloats the database and, as you are finding out, is difficult to work with.

The hyperlink field type is an alternate option. It is also somewhat difficult to work with as a developer but it leaves the attachments outside the database in their own folder. It provides a blue hot link the users understand although making the initial link to an attachment is a little quirky & non intuitive for the user at first.

The better alternative is using a text field and writing the FileDialog code, if you are a programmer. This keeps the attachment outside the db and is an easy field to work with.

Regardless of those two - the fields are holding the link path - - there typically is still needed another text field to hold plain English title/info about what that attachment is.....

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.